Thoughts on GGT

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting gear together for a day trip to my seasonal creek which includes my unused GGT. I also have a new Garrett Super Sluice pan that I need to season and was thinking it wouldn't hurt to season the deck on the GGT. Am I overthinking ? Please don't flame me, just a little bored. Ha! Gotta' get some cons to play with in the shop this winter. I'm dealing with very fine gold at this spot so far.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting gear together for a day trip to my seasonal creek which includes my unused GGT. I also have a new Garrett Super Sluice pan that I need to season and was thinking it wouldn't hurt to season the deck on the GGT. Am I overthinking ? Please don't flame me, just a little bored. Ha! Gotta' get some cons to play with in the shop this winter. I'm dealing with very fine gold at this spot so far.

It's called a slick plate for a reason.....just kidding.:laughing7:

Good luck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please don’t. Leave the sluice exactly as it is. Just scrub the pan with paydirt when first used.

OP
OP
W

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok Kevin, but I don't buy paydirt! I've got about 20 gold pans and will season the pan like I normally do with soap and a plastic scrub pad then straight sand. My idle thinking was that possibly being able to see fine gold on the skid plate by seasoning it similar to a pan. I won't do it and instead will shovel more!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not season the GGT. It's designed for fast flow. Your never going to see gold hung up on the plate unless it's a monster, seasoned or not. The new inspection riffle already does a fine job of letting you know your on gold(which u should already know in most cases). The only thing I worry about is a large thin flake that could catch up on the grizzly and get missed when hand clearing which is a reality unless conditions are perfect.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok Kevin, but I don't buy paydirt! I've got about 20 gold pans and will season the pan like I normally do with soap and a plastic scrub pad then straight sand. My idle thinking was that possibly being able to see fine gold on the skid plate by seasoning it similar to a pan. I won't do it and instead will shovel more!

If u r a prospector, pay dirt is not a thing to buy, it’s the gold bearing dirt you DIG!

OP
OP
W

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct, Kevin. Sorry, I was sipping a toddy and not in the moment. As a side note the spot I'm going to work is about a five foot drop in the bottom of a gulch then drops of pretty steep after that to make what should be an excellent set up for a GGT. There is a lot of overburden that needs to be removed and I plan on running it through the sluice since it will be right there and I have to shovel it anyway. Even though there is color just downstream I don't expect much if anything in the overburden. Hoping for a surprise after the sweat. Thanks for the words of encouragement my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread