What does the expqnded metal do?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes and no.
The effect is to create many smaller capture vortexs for the gold to drop out into instead of just a few full width ones. However since they capture differently than traditional riffles, it's a good idea to use a combination of the 2 with a couple traditional type up top and expanded on the bottom end to expose the slurry to
more than 1 type of flow interruption for the heavies to fall out.
You can go to the Gold Hog website for some good explanations for using different layouts. That being said I have complete faith in his mat designs to accomplish the best recovery rates possible.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some advocate leaving the bigger riffles to the lower end of the box. First give the small stuff time to settle then use the riffles for nugget traps further down. Big riffles up top just keeps the fine gold stirred back up into suspension.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Some advocate leaving the bigger riffles to the lower end of the box. First give the small stuff time to settle then use the riffles for nugget traps further down. Big riffles up top just keeps the fine gold stirred back up into suspension.

Basically all I deal with is fine gold in VT and NH. Would you suggest I remove some of the upper riffles from my Keene sluice?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More times than not the material dictates the setup. In my 4” Proline I have several different setups. I use a over under setup in Oklahoma. I use the stock setup in Texas and 12# expanded on my Arizona claims. Set your equipment for the area your working what works for me on my claim may cause you big losses on yours.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just a "riffle" of a sort?

It acts as a medium to help break up and stratify material allowing finer gold more areas to settle out while sending larger gravels on down the sluice.

Also don't overlook/underestimate the rock washing action as dirty gravels tumble over the expanded metal mesh.

GG~

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
If all you are dealing with is fine gold put a high banker together.
Wash and classify out all the oversized stuff and set the sluice up for fine gold ...
Which means get rid of the riffles.
You want a smooth laminar flow over something like deep V mat or Goldhog UR or motherload......

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would be an interesting box..fine gold at the top and nuggets at the bottom?! Never seen it before.

Have installed some fancy engineered rubber mat below traditional expanded steel and miners moss. The mat at the end of the box was always empty. Hmm

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have nuggets any kind of riffle will do especially in a river sluice. If all you expect to encounter is fine gold your better off cutting all but the top and bottom riffles out and run the expanded unhampered. I put big expanded in mine it.

image1 (3).JPG

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have nuggets any kind of riffle will do especially in a river sluice. If all you expect to encounter is fine gold your better off cutting all but the top and bottom riffles out and run the expanded unhampered. I put big expanded in mine it.

View attachment 1671604

Did you find that the big expanded was better than the small?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How I like to run it works like a champ. I think the term on here is gorilla mining.

Last edited:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am running carpet under heavy expanded metal no riffles i was told to do it that way. I am happy with the way it works i guess, i have only run it 4 times and it produced my first gold one piece was about .060dia and 5 this size (.) i hope it traps the bigger stuff lol.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fast water, rough classification to reduce carry weight or shovel feed straight bank run, pitch out the big rocks by hand. I think thats what it is I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast water, rough classification to reduce carry weight or shovel feed straight bank run, pitch out the big rocks by hand. I think thats what it is I could be wrong.
Yep its how you actually get good gold with a small sluice

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Expanded metal looks basa$$ and gives the sluice its lateral strength and flexibility. Has nothing to do with catching gold. Dont listen to anyone. They just want your gold.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expanded metal looks basa$$ and gives the sluice its lateral strength and flexibility. Has nothing to do with catching gold. Dont listen to anyone. They just want your gold.

Dude.. it is the only thing even used in hundreds of large operations. For recovery.

There are whole studies on it.

My hi banker and production stream sluices run with it and get excellent recovery..

Nothing to do with catching gold? Really:laughing7:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude.. it is the only thing even used in hundreds of large operations. For recovery.

There are whole studies on it.

My hi banker and production stream sluices run with it and get excellent recovery..

Nothing to do with catching gold? Really:laughing7:

Pretty sure the comment above yours was dripping with sarcasm. I speak it pretty fluently myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread