What does the expqnded metal do?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What does the expqnded metal do?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby, Darby
    577 times
    Other Peoples Trash

What does the expqnded metal do?

Is it just a "riffle" of a sort?
    It ain't treasure, If ya can't touch it.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1224 times
    Prospecting
    Yes and no.
    The effect is to create many smaller capture vortexs for the gold to drop out into instead of just a few full width ones. However since they capture differently than traditional riffles, it's a good idea to use a combination of the 2 with a couple traditional type up top and expanded on the bottom end to expose the slurry to
    more than 1 type of flow interruption for the heavies to fall out.
    You can go to the Gold Hog website for some good explanations for using different layouts. That being said I have complete faith in his mat designs to accomplish the best recovery rates possible.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10765 times
    Prospecting
    Some advocate leaving the bigger riffles to the lower end of the box. First give the small stuff time to settle then use the riffles for nugget traps further down. Big riffles up top just keeps the fine gold stirred back up into suspension.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1986 Wheaties
    1907 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Some advocate leaving the bigger riffles to the lower end of the box. First give the small stuff time to settle then use the riffles for nugget traps further down. Big riffles up top just keeps the fine gold stirred back up into suspension.
    Basically all I deal with is fine gold in VT and NH. Would you suggest I remove some of the upper riffles from my Keene sluice?

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    More times than not the material dictates the setup. In my 4 Proline I have several different setups. I use a over under setup in Oklahoma. I use the stock setup in Texas and 12# expanded on my Arizona claims. Set your equipment for the area your working what works for me on my claim may cause you big losses on yours.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

http://www.mylandmatters.org/

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10765 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by No gold in NY View Post
    Basically all I deal with is fine gold in VT and NH. Would you suggest I remove some of the upper riffles from my Keene sluice?
    Yes.
    wildminer likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4249 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
    Is it just a "riffle" of a sort?
    It acts as a medium to help break up and stratify material allowing finer gold more areas to settle out while sending larger gravels on down the sluice.

Also don't overlook/underestimate the rock washing action as dirty gravels tumble over the expanded metal mesh.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Jan 13, 2019 at 03:01 PM.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2165 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    If all you are dealing with is fine gold put a high banker together.
    Wash and classify out all the oversized stuff and set the sluice up for fine gold ...
    Which means get rid of the riffles.
    You want a smooth laminar flow over something like deep V mat or Goldhog UR or motherload......
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Mar 2016
    3417 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    That would be an interesting box..fine gold at the top and nuggets at the bottom?! Never seen it before.

Have installed some fancy engineered rubber mat below traditional expanded steel and miners moss. The mat at the end of the box was always empty. Hmm
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 14, 2019 at 01:53 AM.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    874 times
    Prospecting
    If you have nuggets any kind of riffle will do especially in a river sluice. If all you expect to encounter is fine gold your better off cutting all but the top and bottom riffles out and run the expanded unhampered. I put big expanded in mine it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (3).JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1671604
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1986 Wheaties
    1907 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    If you have nuggets any kind of riffle will do especially in a river sluice. If all you expect to encounter is fine gold your better off cutting all but the top and bottom riffles out and run the expanded unhampered. I put big expanded in mine it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (3).JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1671604
    Did you find that the big expanded was better than the small?

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    874 times
    Prospecting
    How I like to run it works like a champ. I think the term on here is gorilla mining.
    Last edited by N-Lionberger; Feb 14, 2019 at 02:00 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    676 times
    Prospecting
    I am running carpet under heavy expanded metal no riffles i was told to do it that way. I am happy with the way it works i guess, i have only run it 4 times and it produced my first gold one piece was about .060dia and 5 this size (.) i hope it traps the bigger stuff lol.

us
    Mar 2015
    1907 times
    Quote Originally Posted by No gold in NY View Post
    Did you find that the big expanded was better than the small?
    OK, I'll bite. What is gorilla mining?

us

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    874 times
    Prospecting
    Fast water, rough classification to reduce carry weight or shovel feed straight bank run, pitch out the big rocks by hand. I think thats what it is I could be wrong.
    Last edited by N-Lionberger; Feb 14, 2019 at 07:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links