Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good keep at it.Where there's some...there's more :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out sluicing for a couple hours, came back home to pan and found my first Gold lol not much very small flakes about 6 in total. I dug down in a black sand creek about 2ft next time i will go deeper.

Looking promising.:thumbsup: Deeper may be better but also remember or learn about where gold is also likely to deposit....elevated bars, inside bends, cracks in bedrock, etc. and sample/exploit them too.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, i was running the sluice pretty quick and for it to collect little specs like it did i,am impressed lol. I forgot what to use when i am panning some of the little specs were floating, do i use dish soap ? and how much.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, i was running the sluice pretty quick and for it to collect little specs like it did i,am impressed lol. I forgot what to use when i am panning some of the little specs were floating, do i use dish soap ? and how much.

Dish soap is a "used to be" or "in a pinch" kind of thing nowadays. It works but it foams too much. Jet-Dri is what to use. It too foams if you use too much. A few drops is all you need. By the way, you can run a sluice too slow and lose gold. In fast water reduce the angle so it is flatter. That reduces scouring and the sluice is still efficient if not more so than in calmer flow.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t forget to report it to the irs

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Gold. It all adds up regardless of how small the amount or the size. Save it all! Also, have fun out there, don't make it all work! Best of success to ya!..................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats it jet-dri. Jeff lol. Thank u 63. I did let go 3 pieces this size ( . ) i will keep it all from now on.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is what you are working pretty much sand?
If so I would change out that expanded for deep V mat... Then tune it till it just keeps a little bit of black sand in the V's...
I think you may find what you will capture surprising.
You have to tune the sluice to the gold you are after.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is what you are working pretty much sand?
If so I would change out that expanded for deep V mat... Then tune it till it just keeps a little bit of black sand in the V's...
I think you may find what you will capture surprising.
You have to tune the sluice to the gold you are after.

Hi johnedoe, lots of sand up top but down a foot or so it becomes a mixture of all sizes from small pebble to fist size stones. What was left in the mat was pebbles and a lot of black sand. Thank you.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi johnedoe, lots of sand up top but down a foot or so it becomes a mixture of all sizes from small pebble to fist size stones. What was left in the mat was pebbles and a lot of black sand. Thank you.
In that case set things up as a high banker and let it pre-classify everything down to the size gold your getting ... maybe classify to 8 mesh.
I run into the same kind of problem at some of the beaches I hit... sand on top then as I get deeper it starts turning into mixed aggregate and cobble.
Here is my beach high banker with the 1/8th punch plate classifier..... then over deep V mat , 4 tooth per inch sawtooth mat and finally over a cleangold magnetic section.
IMG_0623.JPG

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I johnedoe, thanks for that info i don't think i am ready to make a high banker yet. I am new to sluicing that was my first time using my DIY sluice and finding gold and it did bite me lol. I want to go tomorrow but heavy rain for the next 4 days. Btw i panned the stuff i tossed in the garden that had 3 little specs of Gold and found them lol its amazing how gold acts plus its good practice for me. Again thanks everybody.

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello there, hey your pan looks pretty shiny :) good job. Remember that theres layers, pan down until you find color and work the layer. It might only be the top 8 inches . If your pan was alittle scuffed it might grab a little more. Cheers and hope you get lots

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks you guys. Whats the best way to season my pan ? i went back to the creek yesterday for a couple hours and almost took a nose dive in the fast moving water :o, my sluice caught on a tree branch and through me off balance the bucket went in first omg, i was able to grab the bucket before it went under.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you guys. Whats the best way to season my pan ? i went back to the creek yesterday for a couple hours and almost took a nose dive in the fast moving water :o, my sluice caught on a tree branch and through me off balance the bucket went in first omg, i was able to grab the bucket before it went under.

This is how I do it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread