Digging it in California :)!!

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im not sure what more to say on black gulch. Let me recap.. At aboutthe borel road turn left onto a dirt road to black gulch. Follow roadto first locked forest service gate and cattle guard. Inside that is a big government board they staple the announcements. On that board was a notice of intent to charge a day fee and also an overnight fee for the improvements they have made to that area included but not limited to road graded and gravel put out, signs saying what and where you can and cant do things, toilots, cement slabs (possibly parking as the road levels and heads west) they have added more rocks to block areas.. So i can tell they have done a bit of work in there, and unless you go and see what im talking about(i have no pictures) then im not sure i can explain it much differently. This was a very formal NOI with proposed fees for both things described and why. It had FS as acting with multiple contacts.... I didnt walk any further west past the porta potty place. But the amounts I qouted were insane but thats also the reason i remember the amounts. Anyways ive spent 30 + years off and on in Isabella area, between family cowboying, me cowboying and mining, horse shoeing and living out. Have a look yourself, and then come back and have a comment. Or catch me anytime on here i plan on doing alot of pictures of my trips this year...

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The notice of intent is for the upcoming forest plan NEPA EIS.

Dispersed camping is free. If you pay for camping in undeveloped campgrounds or parking you are making a donation of your own free will. Several Federal Court decisions have upheld the law preventing fees for unimproved, camping, picnicking or parking.

There is no such thing as a fee to prospect on the public lands. Silly story. Lots of claims up that way do your research.

Always drama coming out of Babylon. The BS artists do more to scare people out of the woods than the rangers ever will.

Welcome to California. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
yeah i never claimed there was a fee to prospect. It plainly stated a proposed day use fee and overnight fee. Anyways yeah have a great day

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can't charge you to park to access your own claim.

There are numerous, (Like A LOT of them) free dispersed camping areas in the Krn River Canyon

not to mention they can't charge you to park in turnouts on Kern Canyon rd.

There are no $80 day use areas.

Like Clay said. more people keep themselves out than any Ranger.

I didn't live in the area for thirty years but, visited when I was young visiting from SoCal. And very often When I lived in Lone Pine.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just heard about a law being proposed in Denver to allow young children to run lemonade stands or shovel snow for extra money in their neighborhoods since it's illegal without the proper permits and business licences.
Our "educators" are protesting in Denver today for more fiat dollars, not that they want REAL money with purchasing power, but more fiat. (But it's all about the kids they say.)
The poor kids here dont stand a chance with a legal system against them and a public teachers union holding them hostage for pay raises.
Seems we arent far behind ya I hate to say!

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They can't charge you to park to access your own claim.

There are numerous, (Like A LOT of them) free dispersed camping areas in the Krn River Canyon

not to mention they can't charge you to park in turnouts on Kern Canyon rd.

There are no $80 day use areas.

Like Clay said. more people keep themselves out than any Ranger.

I didn't live in the area for thirty years but, visited when I was young visiting from SoCal. And very often When I lived in Lone Pine.
I came on here to show alittle gold and remembered seeing that, was just passing it along in case people hadn't heard
, and being that the government is so shady they dont cast shadows. Again not worth the hassle, so good on ya, cheers

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I think MrHF is talking about a National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass
There $80.00
https://store.usgs.gov/pass
Nice gold and yes the rangers can be a pain in the ass I have been harassed before.
The last time I was told I had to stay in the keysville Recreational Mining Area - BLM Signs are posted to do this.
These signs don't mean chit I can go prospecting as long as it's not claimed and open to mineral entry as some land is.
How I'm I going to file a claim if I can't show proof of discovery as I need to prospect to do that.
Blm can't just make up there own rules.
Rant over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread