Digging it in California :)!!

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_20190120_082758574.jpg A spot I've done well at before. Went and ran half a yard or so for alittle better then 4dwt IMG_20190205_102802304.jpg I have to pack the pay out to work it through IMG_20190205_103620976.jpg now we can have some stuff sent out from IMG_20190205_105521451.jpg IMG_20190126_104049726.jpg this contact I got on the other day. IMG_20190205_105506550.jpg IMG_20190205_105443601.jpg The box is just something you can shovel into, but it catches some pretty fine stuff to poke away ;

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4dwt.:thumbsup: I shudder at the thought of humping 8 or 10 buckets of paydirt very far though. I don't see a screen classifier in your pix...hope you used one to maximize your efforts.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a screen on my box. I use a vehicle for the buckets. Only the best gets washed, alot of heavies and clay,really its a uniform layer. Any rock in that should really be crushed for values along with the worked heavies. Im pretty close to where this was coming off.. :) It would of been closer to a yard of material, I switched to those 5 gal buckets.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those small draws were skipped over some times.
How far to the pay layer are you digging? Guessing about 2.5’?

Probably only a 10” thick layer on the bottom?

I see mercury, but obviously it has not been worked.

It looks like you have carefully covered your tracks.

I once ran into a similiar draw. 3’ deep x 2’w is what I dug, with gold sitting in every low spot in the bedrock. Dirt turned blackish through the pay layer. Flat rocks laying on the bedrock. Didn’t do as well as you did.

This should be a banner find in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those small draws were skipped over some times.
How far to the pay layer are you digging? Guessing about 2.5’?

Probably only a 10” thick layer on the bottom?

I see mercury, but obviously it has not been worked.

It looks like you have carefully covered your tracks.

I once ran into a similiar draw. 3’ deep x 2’w is what I dug, with gold sitting in every low spot in the bedrock. Dirt turned blackish through the pay layer. Flat rocks laying on the bedrock. Didn’t do as well as you did.

This should be a banner find in my opinion.
Yes you nailed on all counts.2-3' down, pay is about 8-10" X12" a few pockets, a drop, and some low spots. We have to retort, Still :). Theyd chased it but only worked the big runs, left alot of crumbs for me. I tried dry washing but the clay needs the wet to soften enough to get it all out.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they sometimes jumped ahead when the draws narrowed or became steep.
In my instance, I sample panned the overburden and it was barren.
So I just shoveled it to the side, then used a plastic spoon and Goldbug 2 to seperate gold once I got down to the pay.
Came away with some nice gold (several ounces). Covered the excavation back up every day.

One thing to investigate is a dry land suction nozzle in conjunction with a highbanker.
Little snow melt or runoff. Only takes about 100 - 200 gallons recirculated with settlement areas.

What turned you on to start digging?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Sir :) I started this to quit cowboying. I was always out looking at the country for sign anyways, I just stopped looking for cows. Always had a knack for finding things but this was better then that and it came with a fever ;) Enough of one, that my firat marriage couldnt stand the bug , but by golly the second one she loves the stuff and being out in it... Most the time I can pull a wage or better :).. How about yourself? What hooked you?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short, I’ve always been involved in related hobbies.
Enjoy the outdoors. But what kind of really triggered the fever..
A crappy divorce. It was litterally in my best interest to skip dodge and disappear into the mountains as often as possible.
When it was “my weekend”, I’d bring my kids.

Detecting nuggets put me over the edge. I enjoy history, so it just works for me.
Something to focus on, I think. Needed exercize.

I really enjoy being a bachelor and it fits well with mining.

But what I really meant..what caused you to start digging your draw. Why there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh :) I started in this spot because it was in a gold producing area, it was a new club claim that no one was prospecting. Went and had a look to find shallow hard pack. So i packed a dry washer out and worked the easiest area which was a narrow pinch. I pulled a half oz in two days of slow easy digging, then got nailed by the rangers in a line of their guilty until you can talk your way out of it. None the less had to go fight that, when that was over. I made sure the spot was reclaimed and left the area(its been a few plus years since id been to this claim) ... So the first hour I was back prospecting it, here the rangers come (not worth sticking around for them) , I came back and night mined it. Followed up the next day reclaiming the area and here they come again. This time they ran all my information but my nose is clean so it was just an hour of explaining and undue burden :(.. And oh yeah gold :) and this time no court hang ups. :) Win win :) I needed some gold to be able to look into some hardrock spots, but I wont go back to that spot again. You never know what those rangers will do or how far they'll go to nail you.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you had to go to court on this issue? Sounds like a bunch of BS.
You found a good spot and the disturbance was minimal and temporary.

Actually sounds like a fairly clean cut case of harassment.

I’d be going back with a video camera.

Since you mentioned hardrock. If you get into pocket gold country, there are many similiar little narrow draws below eroded deposits. Not many people willing to dig.

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to go sell my gold to pay for the tickets. They said i was off trail with my vehicle, though the roads show on my Metzger map. They pulled me over when i moved my vehicle, searching everything, and blasting my name all over the channels,ran my guns,tied me up explaining the claim and my access, said my hand tools were making to big of an impact which I argued it all was up to par and again they were hand tools and a private claim. But yeah town to sell gold and pay the one ticket which was alot less then legal fees (and they know that). I quit mining for a couple years not long after that. Just wasn't worth their nonsense. But my bugs back and im just making enough to get some gear back and a wage.... We've been setting an rv up to be able to afford some trips out into other districts where i can put that material in my box :).. I would really like to get back into Clearwater and get on some pockets. When I got back from Oz I had bought a nice little claim to dredge on in Clearwater forest but sold it to pay for my first wifes unhappiness :(.. So this year we will aim for trinity then some beach deposits in OR/WA and come back down 95..Where in the world do you run amuck?

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are definitely out of hand. The people that lose are the ones that take it on the nose and pay the ransom.
Average guy does not have the resources to bring a suit against the government.

Denied access to private property through management rules.
Shovel is causing too much damage?! What are you supposed to do, dig with your bare hands..use sticks?

It’s important to try to reclaim and restore the area at the end of each day to the extent possible so as to avoid the “too much damage” argument.

On a positive note, you sure got some nice gold outa that trench.

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And at the end of the day the gold is what matters to me, cheers

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What forest was that in? I had a similar experience in El Darado National Forest a few years back, they were hiding in wait and pulled me over when I moved my truck, pulled everything out searched. Gave me a whopper of a ticket said I was off road, They were concerned about the impact of my activity they suggested that my digging on the bank of a stream would cause the whole hillside road and all to slide into the creek it wasn't funny.

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was in kern County. Definitely misinformation and its like they had orders to harass or disrupt mining operations. They have all sorts of Notice Of Intent placards going up theyve locked black gulch up and expect you to pay to use it. They really are making it difficult.. Night mining is something an old friend recommended..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was in kern County. Definitely misinformation and its like they had orders to harass or disrupt mining operations. They have all sorts of Notice Of Intent placards going up theyve locked black gulch up and expect you to pay to use it. They really are making it difficult.. Night mining is something an old friend recommended..

The government has Notice of Intent Placards up? :icon_scratch:

The whole canyon is full of claims. It would be claim owners who trigger notice of intent.

The government isn't charging a fee to prospect.

If it wasn't so close to Babylon the Rangers wouldn't be so edgy.

OP
OP
M

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This has something to do withthem improving the area. They put gravel on the road, drug a few toilots in, added some concrete slabs, signs, alot of new rocks blocking trails,. The placard is up on the government notice board right past thecattle gaurd and gate. Day use was 70-80+$ and overnight was 130-150ish.This was a bound paper with forest service as acting agency.The rangers are beyond edgy, they are over stepping. Creating an undue burden, investigating with zero cause. You have to talk your way out of every situation. Maybe call the sheriffs and civil court is the answer for someone with resources. I will simply go to bigger gold country and work better claims.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day use for $80 bucks where?

I've spent quite a bit of time in the area especially at the hot springs.

Theres not a day use area anywhere thats more than $10-15 bucks.. No camping near as much as you stated.

Could you share more info? Sounds like the locals are trying to keep people away. Something fishy is going on.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ridiculous harassment! Someday someone's gonna snap with that going on! I've heard of people's equipment getting confiscated too!

We dont have any of that in Colorado that I've ever heard of.....pure crazy! Seems everyone's forestry officials have gone bonkers except for ours? Weird. I'll stay in Colorado where its safe geeez!

Post a sign at your claim that says-No trespassing! I have guns and a backhoe! I never have any unwanted visitors at my claim. Its really kind of boring.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The notice of intent is for the upcoming forest plan NEPA EIS.

Dispersed camping is free. If you pay for camping in undeveloped campgrounds or parking you are making a donation of your own free will. Several Federal Court decisions have upheld the law preventing fees for unimproved, camping, picnicking or parking.

There is no such thing as a fee to prospect on the public lands. Silly story. Lots of claims up that way do your research.

Always drama coming out of Babylon. The BS artists do more to scare people out of the woods than the rangers ever will.

Welcome to California. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread