PlugUgly

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2019
Leadville CO
Detector(s) used
Garret at Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i am new to prospecting. I am ready to buy my first sluice box, I have watched lots of U tube videos on sluice boxes. I was wondering what works like they are designed.
I was looking at Gold Hog, A52S, I like the idea of not classifying. Also some one told me to go with a Dream Mat ?

If you have you have hard this topic before I am sorry! but I don't want to wast my $$.

So I am asking for recommendations

Thank you
PlugUgly

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You allowed to highbank where you go? If so, go buy the Gold Hog Piglet--it's a mini highbanker. I know the setup costs more than a standard sluice, but this is what you'll graduate to once you learn you can't process as quick as you'd like to with a standard sluice--and don't get a cheap pump. Plus, this isn't a giant highbanker that makes you and your prospecting immobile--find a way to carry it around on your back as I have and you'll be able to have a lot more fun which is why you're out there anyways.

But if you can't use a highbanker the A52S is a good one. good luck.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buy a name brand that you can afford. The A52 is a good workhorse. It’s big and heavy tho. The GoldHog equipped with all the trimmings is a step up. Various mats are popular. Try to buy one. Not one after another.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my case, I just bought 2! Both are Gold Hog Stream Sluices and a powerhead. Then I can use the one sluice similar to the Multi Sluice for cleanup. Couldn't get the GGT Explorer's I wanted.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I agree that the A52 is a good first sluice but I always find myself going back to my drop riffles.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH GOD we're going to start the sluice wars again! LOL! I've been running a Keene A52 for about ten years now.
It catches everything and if you're mechanicly inclined you can convert it to high banker. DSCF0391.JPG

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can locate a used Bazooka gold trap sluice I'd recommend scooping it up, they handle unclassified dirt fairly well. Keene sluices handle unclassified dirt fairly well but you need to baby it a little.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If money is no problem/option.....
For the best beginners 1st......
I'd look for a larger Mackirk sluice if you can find one, the same goes for a La Trap.
If you're really serious about gold, then Doc's sluices and or the mats are great for fine, medium and large size gold...depending on what you have in your area. 8-)

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I avoid anything “Dream Mat.” The guy who makes them sques his comparison tests and flies off the handle when anyone points it out. Resorts to insults and name calling if you question him.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug Ugly, just Why are you ready to purchase your first sluice? Have you tried panning to confirm you have a location with gold in it? Have you ever found gold with your detector?

I am asking as I do not want you to waste your money! And to be honest, many a prospector has done just that, wasted their money. To name one, myself. I went in way to early with way too much money spent and could have done a lot better with much less spent.

Making certain you have enough gold in an area to warrant the purchase of more equipment is simply wise. Sample panning is the way to start And if you have a detector that will handle the mineralization of where you are finding gold then the detector can be used to your benefit. I used my GMT to confirm I had gold in my sample bucket before I even panned the sample out. The method saved me from a lot of work panning, panning is simply not fun for many hours a day!

If you know your location has enough gold to warrant the purchase of a new tool then a sluice is a good way to go. I like the suggestion offered by mike(swWash) as Doc's mats work really well. I own the A52, I set it up all wrong and it still caught gold But (I had it set up poorly) I know it also lost gold, my fault.

An A52 does NOT fit into a round 5 gallon bucket! An A52 can and has broken my typical round 5 gallon bucket. When I purchased one of the Rectangular Recycle Waste Buckets (blue plastic) it was a dream come true as the A52 goes right to the bottom of it with room to spare (Home Depot purchase).

Best of luck with your decisions and equiipment choices............63bkpkr

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would suggest a good cheap Angus Mackirk, you can get one for under 100.00
Start small then move up to something bigger later.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would suggest a good cheap Angus Mackirk, you can get one for under 100.00
Start small then move up to something bigger later.

100% agreed! If you are in Canada, buy direct. If you are in the US, buy from https://sunnymountain.net (I get nothing for saying this)

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
If money is no problem/option.....
For the best beginners 1st......
I'd look for a larger Mackirk sluice if you can find one, the same goes for a La Trap.
If you're really serious about gold, then Doc's sluices and or the mats are great for fine, medium and large size gold...depending on what you have in your area. 8-)

Another Mackirk fan here. I have several sizes (Boss down to Eureka) & really like them. Also have the standard Keen A51, A52 etc. Just bought a unused Bazooka Miner but haven't had a chance to toss it in the water yet. If I was starting over with one sluice it would probably be one of the Mackirks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread