Info

everex5

Sep 23, 2011
Dover-Foxcroft, ME
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

I am looking at doing some sluice box work, in some areas I found in the north woods. Thought I would see what you recommend for a sluice box and setup for a beginner. I can bring a generator to pump water, no problem. I am trying to not break the bank since I have a baby on the way. Anybody local to me by chance? Moosehead Lake region?

Thanks all!

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would always recommend the same thing for a beginner. Start with just a pan. No one likes hearing that However its good advice. One has to be good at panning. Many spend money and lose interest when they figure out its hard work for little gain in many areas. If you have your mind made up on a sluice do a lot of homework. I now use a Angus Mackirk recon and just cant see ever finding something I like more but it suits me my area perfect don't mean its perfect for you though.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first step should be to sample pan the areas of interest to confirm there is gold to be found. Don't put the cart before the horse....You can carry a sluice when you are sampling but test pan for gold availability first then set the sluice up where found and start digging in earnest.

Congratulations, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For now, just get a regular sluice. I got a nice one for about $100 and it's years old and I still have it. The Swift River in Maine is the best known place for gold, and folks know it. I have two big nuggets from there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread