Questions about sluice boxs
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Questions about sluice boxs

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    379 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Questions about sluice boxs

So I'm new to this hobby and had a few questions for the pros. I am using a 24 inch hundred dollar box. I was wondering how many buckets should be ran through it before you clean it out? I was worried about losing gold by not cleaning it often enough. Any advice is grateful. Thanks.

us
    Oct 2009
    8098 times
    You only need to clean it out when you quit for a time. As long as its running correctly and not loading up, it will keep holding the gold. The worst thing for gold loss is surging. If you are going to stop and take a lunch break or something else, then go ahead and dump it and wash it clean.
    russau and Goodyguy like this.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    659 times
    Prospecting
    If you classify the material before you run it thru the box it will work really well for you..Keep your hands out dont rile up the material behind the riffles.. That is one good reason for classifying first...
    russau and Goodyguy like this.

Mar 2015
    379 times
    So moving the material is bad news and if the material is building up behind the grates its set up wrong?

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11662 times
    Yes it's a 16 minute video, but very informative.

russau likes this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Mar 2015
    379 times
    Alright thanks. Im watching it now. I'll be posting a video on my youtube channel "the wandering fools" on friday if you want to see how we do it. I feel like we're making a lot of mistakes but we're new to this and its a learning process.

us
    Oct 2009
    8098 times
    stream sluices can be a pain in the ass. You need them close to the best location for gold drop, but that may be a terrible spot for the sluice. You need enough water flow for the material, but not so much you are blowing out the fines. You need the right amount of drop, but that can be very hard to achieve if the stream is too flat, too shallow or too deep or too rocky. You can spend a lot of time building wing-dams and getting the box set just right, you need a good gold spot to make it worth the time involved.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11662 times
    Sluice box legs make setup much easier, at least for me anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sluice legs.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	1767224
    delnorter likes this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Mar 2015
    379 times
    This is our find running it the way we have been. Im just wondering how much we've lost doing it this way. The first part of the video will be out tomorrow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191030_150628_293.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1767229

us
    Oct 2009
    8098 times
    With gold that big, dont worry about the fines! Just concentrate on moving that material!
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    819 times
    Prospecting
    Sluice legs really are amazing, when you try it you feel like a huge bone head idiot for not doing so years before. Yeah finding a good sluice spot near your hole is a pain.
    Oregon Viking and delnorter like this.

Mar 2015
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    Sluice legs really are amazing, when you try it you feel like a huge bone head idiot for not doing so years before. Yeah finding a good sluice spot near your hole is a pain.
    We're heading back tomorrow for a 2 day expedition for more gold. I'll be filming the 3rd part of my little sluice big money youtube video. I can already see a ton of mistakes we've made. But this is a learning process
    Jason in Enid likes this.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    659 times
    Prospecting
    Yes, the sluice angle is very importment, if water current is fast the material moves right thru, is the current is slow you really need to classify to 3/8s or so, in order for the box to work, the material has to move thru so its up to you to make the proper adjustments. This is common sense stuff, ive been doing this since the early 70s just trying to pass on useful info i had to learn on my own...

Mar 2015
    379 times
    We're heading back tomorrow for a 2 day expedition for more gold.
    Last edited by sushidingo; Nov 05, 2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Wrong
    Jason in Enid likes this.

Mar 2015
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaseeker View Post
    Yes, the sluice angle is very importment, if water current is fast the material moves right thru, is the current is slow you really need to classify to 3/8s or so, in order for the box to work, the material has to move thru so its up to you to make the proper adjustments. This is common sense stuff, ive been doing this since the early 70s just trying to pass on useful info i had to learn on my own...
    We've done some research this thread being some of that research. We got the angles set up alright (we think...measuring tape, and level) amd feel we found a good bit of gold over the last 2 days. I'll update when we get itnall weighed out. Thanks for the help everyone
    RTR and Gold4Mike like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links