GGT starting to come apart
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: GGT starting to come apart

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    471 times
    Prospecting

GGT starting to come apart

Has anyone else had a problem with their GGT starting to come apart at the contact spots? My Explorer is starting to part between the horizontal rear (tailings?) deck and the vertical side piece.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6027.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	1769101
    It will still work as is, but I use it pretty hard and I'm worried that it may continue to separate. Has anyone else had this problem, and what would be the best way to resecure these parts? I thought about JB Weld, but if anyone has better ideas I would like to hear them.
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12074 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post
    Has anyone else had a problem with their GGT starting to come apart at the contact spots? My Explorer is starting to part between the horizontal rear (tailings?) deck and the vertical side piece.

It will still work as is, but I use it pretty hard and I'm worried that it may continue to separate. Has anyone else had this problem, and what would be the best way to resecure these parts? I thought about JB Weld, but if anyone has better ideas I would like to hear them.
    It will keep splitting. The glue on the first boxes sold was

If you can get some M.E.K. you can glue it yourself.

Or some sort of solvent glue.

the tubes came out in mine. Still haven't glued them back in. I have to invrnt some sort of widget to hold, turn, push them in place for the glue to set.

Good luck , Have fun
    Tahoegold and Gold4Mike like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    14360 times
    This stuff will work,I've used it on everything 30 Minute Epoxy | Slow-Cure
    KevinInColorado and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3012 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post

For a quick and probably never fail fix try the following. Place a small block of wood under the deck close to scoop entrance (about where your thumb is in the picture above) and with slight gap but parallel to the side wall and secure it to the deck bottom with wood screws. Finish by aligning the deck and side wall and secure the block to the side wall with wood screws. I doubt that the slight obstruction to water flow through the scoop will change performance of the unit.

Thinking about it a piece of aluminum angle secured with small nuts and bolts will work too and be less obstructive of water flow....actually that is how I made my wooden zook.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Nov 07, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
    Gold4Mike likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    471 times
    Prospecting
    I think I will give that epoxy a try first. If that doesn't hold, I can still try what arizau suggested. Thanks for the suggestions!

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    819 times
    Prospecting
    Why not just use some ABS cement? Epoxy is going to be temporary fix, a solvent type cement will weld it back together.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12074 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Built bazookas with M.E.K just sayin

home market version https://www.amazon.com/Plastruct-Pla...171761&sr=8-14

Last edited by Goldwasher; Nov 07, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    819 times
    Prospecting
    I have never tried M.E.K. I have used the stuff from the hardware store on my ABS projects with good results, my bazooka recently had a run in with a truck, got it all glued up fine.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10672 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    Why not just use some ABS cement? Epoxy is going to be temporary fix, a solvent type cement will weld it back together.
    This!!
    russau likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Is there a preventative measure that can strengthen the other seams? I have both a bazooka and GGT and don't have any issues yet. But, glad this came up. I'm putting the glue on my list! Will going over the seams strengthen, weaken, do anything?

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2154 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Gold4Mike likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe View Post
    Hey, I like the triangular welding rods. That would put on some reinforcement. I noticed on my Motherload there's an extra piece on the bottom sidewall for support. I wonder if they started doing this on later models like mine. Maybe this would be a good solution in this situation with the OP. Plus maybe beefing up the welds. I know nothing about plastic by the way. So I'm guessing. Hoever, I'd like to keep my stuff operational if possible!

Name:	IMG_20191107_210656.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	1769407

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4489 times
    Prior to any cracking at the bend spot's , try using a small amount of the A.B.S. glue (red can label ) on the edge of the seams. this will help strengthen that edge. look for any cracking at all seams and glue'em! And if you do have any separation use a piece of A.B.S. to over lap this separation and clamp it together until dry!
    Last edited by russau; Nov 08, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Gold4Mike likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    12074 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    any "abs glue" will have MEK in it. Just different formulations to make different viscosity dry/cure times

Straight MEK is liquid and dries very fast. Dripping it into cracks and brushing it along them will make a surface weld slight penetration depending on the void.

Plastic welding rod. requires a plastic welder.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    any "abs glue" will have MEK in it. Just different formulations to make different viscosity dry/cure times

Straight MEK is liquid and dries very fast. Dripping it into cracks and brushing it along them will make a surface weld slight penetration depending on the void.

Plastic welding rod. requires a plastic welder.
    Ok, so the welding sticks can't be used with glue. It sure looks like that's how the bazookas were done. I didn't know about welding sticks. It almost looks like one was used in the seams with glue. Not sure how this was done...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191108_105125.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	1769510

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links