High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
This weekend I took the Keene 52s sluice out for a good run. Small stream in MA. Not famous for good gold, but a nice place to go. Had fast water and set the sluice level and submerged. Most rocks went through OK. Those that were stubborn only required a sideways sweep with the shovel handle and they went over the grizzly.*
On July 30, I posted a pic of the upgrade I did where-by I extended the punch plate with Lexan keeping it 3/4 inch above the riffles. Nice not having rocks piling up in the riffles and being able to see the exchange of materials taking place.

After my clean-ups (2) I noticed the upper carpet section remained coated with fine material. Is this normal or a problem?? Thoughts please.

I was happy with the gold I got, but the guy just upstream from me with a suction dredge into a high banker didn't do so well.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stream sluices in general get a lot better recovery than a highbanker let alone a dredge fed highbanker.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This weekend I took the Keene 52s sluice out for a good run. Small stream in MA. Not famous for good gold, but a nice place to go. Had fast water and set the sluice level and submerged. Most rocks went through OK. Those that were stubborn only required a sideways sweep with the shovel handle and they went over the grizzly.*
On July 30, I posted a pic of the upgrade I did where-by I extended the punch plate with Lexan keeping it 3/4 inch above the riffles. Nice not having rocks piling up in the riffles and being able to see the exchange of materials taking place.

After my clean-ups (2) I noticed the upper carpet section remained coated with fine material. Is this normal or a problem?? Thoughts please.

I was happy with the gold I got, but the guy just upstream from me with a suction dredge into a high banker didn't do so well.

I suspect that if you spent more effort that the carpet would be cleaner but.....I have read that when the carpet wears out then people burn them and pan the ashes and get residual gold that has penetrated deep into the fibers.

Good luck.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Burning plastic mat's to retrieve fine gold is the wrong way to get it. You'll ended up with a melted plastic glob that you wont get the gold and probley end up putting it into the "T" file.

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah guys. I posted a long time ago on how to get fine gold out of the carpet mat. No one has addressed the question I asked in my post here. Thanks anyway.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stream sluices in general get a lot better recovery than a highbanker let alone a dredge fed highbanker.

hmmm i feel like they get about the same when you do it right...running more material to boot.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
especially with punch plate in use

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep. and a tad down the sluice.

I leave it bare underthe first part so the gold settles out before hitting the matting.

Proline builds their bankers that way. punch plate over slick plate at the hopper. a small coarse trap under the damper flap then another small bit of punch protecting the first riffle.. then just hungarian riffles.

The under current is slower for fine recovery... mellows out the turbulence in the whole run. The gold drops quick.

My homemade undercurrent is 1/4 first then a section of 3/8 probably 18" total from under the hopper and out. You have to make sure there is enough water going through the first punch plate to have enough flow to prevent build up under the plate. And enough to keep the bigger stuff going. Once its dialed in it works great.

All my stuff is down canyon or I would post some pics.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread