Random thought....12V speed controller

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can see potential advantages to using one* to control the flow of a bilge pump. Less battery power consumption at a low flow setting(?) ergo one higher flow pump powers multiple devices such as highbanker, cleanup sluice, miller table, etc.. Less complicated plumbing(fewer joints, no valves, etc.)....and there has to be others. Thoughts anyone?

*https://www.google.com/search?q=12v...0l5j69i60l2.7728j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering why you would use a dimmer instead of a PWM speed control designed to do exactly what your wanting it to do for the same cost? The PWM speed control is actually more efficient at doing what your trying to do.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Because the dimmer was the 1st control I came across, I had never seen a PWM speed control before. That's what I'll use for my puffer dry washer project this time :icon_thumleft:

Probably be easier on the larger motor life as well since it shouldn't won't heat up under load like some motors will when running lower voltage than designed.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the dimmer was the 1st control I came across, I had never seen a PWM speed control before. That's what I'll use for my puffer dry washer project this time :icon_thumleft:

Probably be easier on the larger motor life as well since it shouldn't won't heat up under load like some motors will when running lower voltage than designed.

Your motors and amp draw will thank you for using a PWM speed control.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a PWM to dial a 2200 GPH bilge pump back to about 1900 for a 5” wide mini highbanker. Cheap, works great, and conserves battery life. I also have a low voltage disconnect in the circuit so I don’t have to keep checking the voltage on my little 30 amp hour lithium battery.

CZH-LABS Electronics-Salon Low Voltage Disconnect Module LVD, 12V 30A, Protect/Prolong Battery Life. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TK5WIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BXGKEbMPRVVZY

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
WHere did you get the low voltage disconnect?
Nevermind.... I did a little more reading....LOL

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a PWM to dial a 2200 GPH bilge pump back to about 1900 for a 5” wide mini highbanker. Cheap, works great, and conserves battery life. I also have a low voltage disconnect in the circuit so I don’t have to keep checking the voltage on my little 30 amp hour lithium battery.

CZH-LABS Electronics-Salon Low Voltage Disconnect Module LVD, 12V 30A, Protect/Prolong Battery Life. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TK5WIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BXGKEbMPRVVZY

If your battery is a LiFePo battery you probably do not need the the low voltage disconnect according to what I have read about that technology...they run at full voltage then automatically cut off/stop when out of "steam". They do not slow down at all/run at reduced voltage but cut off as previously stated.

Good luck.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the same arizau. My cordless tools, they run full power then slow down for a second and then nothing. Now maybe they have a low volt cutoff inside :dontknow:, but my understanding is the new batteries have full power/voltage discharge and then there's nothing left until you reload the electrons and no memory?.?.?

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the same arizau. My cordless tools, they run full power then slow down for a second and then nothing. Now maybe they have a low volt cutoff inside :dontknow:, but my understanding is the new batteries have full power/voltage discharge and then there's nothing left until you reload the electrons and no memory?.?.?

I think I read that they are good for several hundred re-charges(?) in their useful life.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Cordless tools do have protection circuitry. Without it lithium batteries will run at a constant voltage for a time, then drop sharply. Once they get to that voltage, they are being damaged if they continue to be used.

Looking at the Amazon link I posted, it seems the new version of that device used MOSFETs instead of a relay, which is probably not good. MOSFETs tend to get much hotter than relays. I have the older version.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your battery is a LiFePo battery you probably do not need the the low voltage disconnect according to what I have read about that technology...they run at full voltage then automatically cut off/stop when out of "steam". They do not slow down at all/run at reduced voltage but cut off as previously stated.

Good luck.

They will run a bilge pump below the safe voltage for the cells with protection circuitry.

You don’t need a separate device to shut it off automatically. I just like having one so I don’t have to think about or monitor it. Mine shuts off at 12.1 volts, which is about 3 volts per cell. The voltage drops very sharply after that and once it hits 2 volts per cell (8 volts for the whole battery) the battery is being damaged.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The above should say,
“ They will run a bilge pump below the safe voltage for the cells withOUT protection circuitry.”

Sorry, it’s not letting me edit the previous post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions