Which Mackirk?

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read a lot about Angus Mackirk sluices on this site, but not much about which specific one works best (I have read a few comments about some designs being better than others). I'm a beginner and will be sluicing in the San Gabriel River. I'll be hiking a few miles with it. I'd appreciate opinions from those of you who are using AM sluices. Thanks very much!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read a lot about Angus Mackirk sluices on this site, but not much about which specific one works best (I have read a few comments about some designs being better than others). I'm a beginner and will be sluicing in the San Gabriel River. I'll be hiking a few miles with it. I'd appreciate opinions from those of you who are using AM sluices. Thanks very much!

I recommend one of the bigger ones. they are really light so don't go small for portabilities sake.

You can run a lot of material through a good sized drop riffle and get great recovery

Try to get on that has at least 10" width in the run of the sluice. Keep in mind the dimension listed is often the overall sluice width including the side wall and bend.

over 30" in length

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Goldwasher. AM's are so light, get the biggest that you can find.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been leaning toward the Expedition, which fits what you're suggesting. Thanks very much for the reply!

I’ve had an Expedition for almost a decade. Great sluice, get one!

Also Goldwasher is right about size, it matters ;) Even the Expedition is light weight, easy to pack in.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Foreman, works great with little water flow and gets the super fine stuff as well.

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ve had an Expedition for almost a decade. Great sluice, get one!

Also Goldwasher is right about size, it matters ;) Even the Expedition is light weight, easy to pack in.

I got the Expedition. Looking forward to trying it out!

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I hope it’s working well for him.

For anyone who has a Mckirk... I have a Alaskan flare. Love it but being so light and flex you gotta pile rocks on it to keep it from heading down stream. I put a piece of aluminum angle on the flare. I notched the flare so it keys in on the sides and has a hole drilled in the middle so it can be affixed with a bolt and wing nut. The angle lays flat on the flare, and cuts 90’ down It hanged out about 6” on each side.

Stack rocks on the angle that hangs out the sides and a flat one on the cross supports. Works like a champ. Just in case anyone is still fighting holding that flexy ******* down with just stones.

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it's been 4 months since you acquired your sluice and how did it work for you? Inquiring minds wanna know !:dontknow:

Sorry i didn't see your post until now. I got sidetracked with work and didn't get out. I'm just getting back out now. I ran it yesterday, but didn't catch much. I did catch a nice (small) piece of gold, so I think I was running poor material. Have to be more discerning next time out.

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The short grey AM drop riffle should be perfect. I've got a longer Le Sluice with similar drop riffles but it takes way more flow to work so I've only ever gotten to take it out a couple times.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make great great sluices ! Big or small they catch it all :) This one 10 years old,tons of use,and works like new:)
010.JPG

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Expedition all the way. It's a monster. You can run 10 buckets before clean out. Depending on your black sands and garnet

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Oh yeah and it weighs 2 pounds. It can be a little finicky to set up. Bit drop riffles are pretty forgiving. And clean out takes less than 1 minute...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread