Hello All,

I have an opportunity to spend a month this summer in Juneau Alaska, Cape
Disappointment in Washington or the beaches of Southern Oregon. I have only
prospected the creeks and beaches of Southern Oregon and do not have any
experience with the other two. I'm looking to have a great time, but also
want to bring home a little gold. I realize the issue that Oregon has is
you cannot run motorized equipment. The best option there would be to run
in the winter and try to use the creeks for water like John Doe does. With
that said, I'm leaning toward the Cape or Juneau.

I understand that the better gold at the Cape is found in the winter with the storms. I also realize that I won't be able to use a dredge or long Gold Hog setups like Ray Rusaw and others in Juneau. I am planning to use my two Gold Cubes and my Gold Hog Stream & Multi sluices.

So, I'm really trying to figure out the best use of my time. They are all beautiful areas and I know I'll get some beach gold at all spots. However, is there one over the other that produces more with my type of equipment?

*I purposely left the beaches of Nome off my list. As I understand it, the public beach areas only allow you to work in a narrow zone with the tide that makes it hard to setup your motorized equipment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I met a guy here in southern Oregon/Nor Cal that was using a 5 gallon bucket from a drainage pipe that dumped at the beach and he plumbed the bucket overhead to his gold cube and used the gravity to feed it and he was doing very well with it

OP
OP
S

soho

May 19, 2010
Alaska, Oregon & sometimes the South Pacific
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yotaboy,

Good suggestion and I had thought that would be the only way to really "automate" it in Oregon. The creeks do run in the winter, it's just the logistics of finding a creek close enough to your diggings. I'm really looking at trying to hit all three spots. Hopefully, I can make this work and then I'll post my findings on the differences between these locations.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have watched a few beach dredging videos from Juneau on Youtube it looks like a lot of fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread