Just a stupid question

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold metal detectorists love tailing piles for the missed large chunks/specimens....

As far as watching both of the Gold Rush series, I wish I could process the tailings from just a days run from their sluice boxes. There has to be 1000's of ounces of flour washing away each season....the same goes especially for the short sluices used in the bearing sea winter series.

You look at what is dumped out and weighed up on tv and a very, very small percentage is flour...mostly just large, course chunks and nuggets.

Large gold is easy to catch, aim for the small....the large stuff will take of itself .

Like in the days of old, they only want to deal with the larger stuff even though there's more fine gold in the world than course stuff.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read stories where dredge workers have seen huge nuggets go out with the tailings.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured as much. I guess it would just cost too much to run the oversized tailings through a cone crusher and then through the plant again, or crush the material first.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think when they are ALL DONE with their cut that there is a lot of fine gold still laying on bed rock or down in the cracks & crevices and it would be just to much work to get all of it ! I just wonder how much fine gold is really left there when they are done ??? Maybe running a street sweeper over the "done claim " would tell a additional new story !!?? :coffee2: Something to think about over a hot cup of coffee !

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was skimming over all the regulations about prospecting in the Klondike, apparently you can’t just wander around the countryside with your bedroll and gold pan checking out streams and so forth.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure about on the Canadian side but there's sure plenty of open areas in Alaska where a US citizen like yourself could do just that.

There are several areas I've heard of and probably many more where detectorist have found large multi-ounce nuggets in oversize tailings. There's just way too many chicken egg and bigger sized rocks and way too few nuggets that size for it to be worth it to run those through the sluices generally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread