Homemade or DIY highbanker Hopper/ crashbox

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone on here attempt to make a highbanker attachment for their River sluices? I am exploring ideas on the best way to approach this. I’ve seen bucket versions and aluminum versions, but without access to an easy way of manipulating aluminum to form a box, I am open to any and all opinions. Looking at converting my 18” x 6” wide River sluice (running dream mat) into a highbanker. Thanks for the suggestions

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
18 x 6 is going to be a small High banker for sure ! Depending on what you use for a water source it may be O.K. BUT if your trying to make a high banker I'd go bigger on the sluice , say 24 X 10 wide and I'd come up with several set ups on riffle's /screen / and matting for the different geology's of the creek /streams your going to work ! I did this for my dredge's because I'd travel to different state's . You would be surprised the difference between creeks !

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18x6 and you wont need much more than a coffee can to feed it.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats a little sluice, never tried anything that small. Probably want to extend the box a little for some slickplate before your riffles help get the air out. I made my first hopper out of wood, then I made one from two five gallon buckets, now I'm making one for my Letrap sluice from an old grow light hood.

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, let me clarify. I have 3 extensions, so 6” wide by 5’ long. I use the gold rat vortex matting, so I don’t need a long sluice, the gold gets caught in the first few cells. And I am primarily interested in making a header box for cleaning up my cons, just something that allows the gold to separate out before entering the main sluice

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BFC8C7B5-C96B-4924-8ED3-D1B3EFE39D30.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone on here attempt to make a highbanker attachment for their River sluices? I am exploring ideas on the best way to approach this. I’ve seen bucket versions and aluminum versions, but without access to an easy way of manipulating aluminum to form a box, I am open to any and all opinions. Looking at converting my 18” x 6” wide River sluice (running dream mat) into a highbanker. Thanks for the suggestions

You could use a wastebasket instead of a bucket. They come in many sizes and are strong and easy to work with.

GG~

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've built headers out of plywood and they work fine, just go with the goldhog piglet style and an old fridge shelf for a grate.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was trying to figure a way to build the same thing to prop onto the lower section of our Piglet and wracking my brain. My brilliant wife found a plastic bin with lid that fit perfectly between the sides of the Piglet sluice portion. A simple boat bilge fitting into the lid and a hole cut in the downhill side of it and it works so well we've taken it out to the river with us several times. Looks cheesy but was practically free.
IMG_6879 (2).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread