Revolutionary War Fortification

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Please, do not attempt to get onto this property. I can tell you first hand there is ALOT of security on the property and you will end up in Jail.
xXx

OP
OP
auger

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
xXx said:
Please, do not attempt to get onto this property. I can tell you first hand there is ALOT of security on the property and you will end up in Jail.
xXx

Pretty harsh comment! I am quite familiar with this property as well, although I haven't been to the North end in quite a few years. The old base is easily accessible through the old main gate. Just tell the guard that you are going to the marina. Make sure to make a right turn toward the marina after you pass the guard shack! If you miss a sign on the way out and end up on the North end, at most, you will be stopped and redirected to the nearest exit. There are so many different agencies using that property now that it is almost impossible to say who belongs there and who does not.

The main thing that struck me about this story is that the redevelopment project will move forward regardless of what they find. This property has been in military hands for over 300 years in one form or another. British, Colonial, USN, etceteras. The shipyard alone was there for more than a hundred years, not to mention the road house that the British used to frequent during their ownership. The entire site is ripe with 3 centuries of artifacts that will be off limits for at least another 75-100 years.

At a minimum, I would love to have access to all the dirt they haul off when they dig the new lake.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
If I hurt you feelings by saying something harsh, I'm sorry. But, what I said was true. I am a Sheriff's Deputy and I definately know what will happen if your found on the property with a detector.

OP
OP
auger

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
xXx said:
If I hurt you feelings by saying something harsh, I'm sorry. But, what I said was true. I am a Sheriff's Deputy and I definately know what will happen if your found on the property with a detector.

No harm, no foul. Regardless of your jurisdiction "deputy", the sections I snoop around on are still federal property, i.e., your department would have no jurisdiction even if you were a deputy in the connected county. Are you actually a retired DOD gate guard that is hoping to keep the North end for yourself?

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Brother, I wish I could retire at 39. No, still active Sheriff's Deputy. As far as hunting the south end, it's all yours. I don't get down there.
I don't recall saying that I have jurisdiction in your area? Did I say that, or somehow imply, or are you only here on TreasureNet to start arguments? I was simply stating that IF YOU HUNT PRIVATE PROPERTY, ESPECIALLY THIS PROPERTY, YOU CAN GO TO JAIL. I fealt I was doing a favor.
Will this help you out:
Metal Detecting Code of Ethics
No leaving of holes and trash you dug up behind.
Always ask permission to hunt private land, and get it in writing if possible.
If you are asked to leave a place, just say, "Okay, sorry." and leave.
Avoid confrontation with the authorities at all costs.
Don't steal your friend's spots
Abide by all state and local laws
Report all live ammunition and lethal ojects to the police
Use common sense and consideration for others when detecting.
Be responsible

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Auger, Dave was simply stating the obivous with detecting at this sight. I know him and believe me, he really is a sheriff's deputy, one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet too.

No harm no foul, hunt were you like but know all the rules and regulations regarding the area you are in. I would absolutely love to hunt that area myself, shoot, maybe we all can get together and see if we can approach those in control and seek permission to hunt in an area. How does that sound?

When it comes down to it, I will caution towrds a law enforcement officer over a person"who knows the area" unless of course you are the owner of said area! ;D then you trump the officer, lol

OP
OP
auger

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
AeroMike said:
Auger, Dave was simply stating the obivous with detecting at this sight. I know him and believe me, he really is a sheriff's deputy, one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet too.

No harm no foul, hunt were you like but know all the rules and regulations regarding the area you are in. I would absolutely love to hunt that area myself, shoot, maybe we all can get together and see if we can approach those in control and seek permission to hunt in an area. How does that sound?

When it comes down to it, I will caution towrds a law enforcement officer over a person"who knows the area" unless of course you are the owner of said area! ;D then you trump the officer, lol

Just thought your bud came on a bit strong when all I did was forward a piece from the local paper. Immediate response of "you will be arrested if you hunt there", was unnecessary and uninformed. This property is City owned and is accessible to the general public. Granted, someone with a metal detector and a shovel in hand would likely get a lot more attention from the site security than a pedestrian. Bottom line, regarding my earlier comments, no historic site(s) will be "discovered" there. That would draw less revenue for the city than the condo's they have planned for the site.

Perhaps your friend was confusing this property with that adjacent with the Navy brig in Hanahan. Totally different story there.

auger, a.k.a Tom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread