where are all the SC relic hunters??

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I know I am pretty new to this forum well actually I have been here for years but just decided to start posting when I came back home to SC. I really thought the SC members would be more active with as much history as we have around here. I am looking to find a friend or 2 that likes to relic hunt old home sites if ne one is interested in getting together and digin let me know. Im ready!! Gary

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am in northern Spartanburg County.I have a very difficult time finding places to go hunting here.I have an old nearly abandon play ground and park I visit after all the gangs leave.

jrgtwocreek

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2009
:-[ Hey Gary ....I'm ready to mdetec ,look for arrow heads or dig bottles.......Just pulled my snake boots out all I need is someone that is ready to go ! My number is 803 622 0171 . Ellie I am in the Newberry area but dont mind traveling

jrgtwocreek

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2009
Hey, I thought you were going to call me so we could go dig ? I waited around and never heard from you.......I'm ready would even like to go out this wkend.....Call me Ellie

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ben2go said:
I have an old nearly abandon play ground and park I visit after all the gangs leave.

So, you only hunt when all the Gamecock players have to return to their dorms or go to practice?

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
I've been on hiatus, but am working on making my SC treasure hunting comeback. I am in Saluda.... Lately, it's been too hot to dig, so I did some CRH and rockhounding in the mountains, before coming down with a bad case of strep!! I should be back out hunting in a few days, though....

Hopefully, with something good to show ya'll from the local area...! :hello2:

Marcie

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
ben2go said:
I have an old nearly abandon play ground and park I visit after all the gangs leave.

So, you only hunt when all the Gamecock players have to return to their dorms or go to practice?

pretty much! You just wait till the dawgs are in the hospital after playing us right? :laughing9: :laughing9:

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I live in York SC but I am originally from Lancaster. I am new to metal detecting, but I do have some ideas of places to hunt in my home town. I know where some cleared home sites are because one of them my grandparents lived in when I was a child. I am in my mid 40's now. The house was old because the heat and stove were from a wood burning stove. My grandmother cooked on it. My aunts and uncles grew up there and the oldest is in his 60's. I imagine the houses were built late 20's early thirties. None are there in that area now.

There is also the revolutionary war site called hanging rock. Now hanging rock itself it off limits to detecting because its a historic site. But I don't believe the actual battle took place there. What I am been able to dig up the battle actually took places several miles away at hanging rock creek. The wounded were taken to hanging rock proper.

I also heard from my father about about a place we used to fish that a small island there was home home to POWs during the civil war when they they were moving them from up north to the camp in Columbia. The stopover was near Heath Springs. I don't believe it was the small island, but a larger island that is accessible now because of the dam upstream.

Somewhere between Lancaster and Rock Hill is a ghost town I have a rough idea where, but no further information. Apparently the place was in competition with Rock Hill for the railroad. Since Rock Hill is still here and that town isn't, Rock Hill won. The scant info I have is that sometime after the 20's, the down finally disappeared. They had a post office and a main street before they did.

Most of the land headed to charlotte from Lancaster used to be plantation land. I have seen some very old maps on the internet that shows them, but man, the mapmaking was horrible back then. That was where Lancaster was first settled. Before that, it belonged to the Catawba nation. Our oldest church is up there. It's from the 1700's.

Anyone live close who would like to check out some of these places, let me know. I can't promise any finds, just someone to hunt some of these spots with.

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
How close are any of you to FT Gordon, GA(Augusta)? I have a few places in mind to hunt, just need to get permission first. Won't be able to go until sometime after the 1st of October though. I'll be checking here often, so if you might be interested just message me.

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Just across the river into SC are a few spots I found that date back into the 1700's. The original building for the church has been replaced with a new one and there has been extensive landscaping done. The woods, however are less than 50 meters and I figured there'd probably be some relics there still. I won't be able to hunt it until October though. I am in the army and have a school I am going away for.

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have a church in Lancaster from the 1700's with a graveyard. Andrew Jacksons mother is buried there. The original church is gone and I have often thought the same thing about the woods on the perimeter of the church. No roads back then and I am sure the paved highway was used back then as a trail, but I am also willing to bet that farmers journeyed through the woods to get to the church as well.

I will keep this and mind and maybe we could set something up come Oct on a weekend.

cemex2006

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi,my name is donald worley and i live in indian land sc and im new to metal detecting.would love to go hunt with you.please call me at 803-230-0129

munozad

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Columbia as well and willing to go out and get dirty. I'm new to metal detecting, but open to anything found that's cool such as Indian artifacts, relics, and junk.

diggerinsc

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2012
I live in Fort Mill Sc but could meet up in Columbia. I just got a new metal detector and looking for someone to go hunting with. Pm me if anyone is interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread