Hunting the Charleston Area

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hey guys,

Im in Summerville and haven't been living in the area that long so I don't know a whole lot about the area. I am having a hard time finding public places (besides the beach) that I can metal detect on. I contacted Charleston City about detecting the parks and I was told I cannot metal detect in City Parks or on City Property. So now that leaves me with no clue as to where to turn to except Private Property.

So does anyone know anywhere I can go and swing my coil that I don't need permission for???

Thanks and message me if you want a hunting partner!

OP
OP
B

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
What parks are you hunting at? Have you never been approached by a cop? I am trying to get a copy of the prak regulations so I can read it and not let someone BS me.

Want a hunting partner? ;D

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Hey Ron in SC, I see you don't use the same name as on the other White's forum. :)

Gary

M

msamm

I'm in the summerville area to, just got a MD wanting to start looking. Would like to find someone to go with as well.

Mike

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
msamm,

You are not too far from Goose Creek are you?

Gary

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be going to Charleston in a few weeks... Can anyone tell me the rules/laws of beach hunting there?

Thanks!!!

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
You won't have problems on the beaches except that they're probably getting crowded now. Just be careful about parking. I've heard that Folly Beach has recently been renourished so I would stay away from there and go to Isle of Palms. Best of luck. BTW, the laws about hunting on Charleston City property are correct. It is not allowed, anywhere or anytime. Used to be a long time ago and I had some great times way back then. No more. So it's either the beaches or private property and I sure wouldn't tresspass. I live on James Island, not far from Folly Beach, and we used to find many Civil War relics on Folly in addition to the coins and gold jewelry. But no more. The continuous renourishment projects keep things at a bare minimum. Not really worth the time.
Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread