Metal detecting buddies in Columbia SC area

Mountainrunner

Greenie
Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I've been doing this for 30 years and always looking for someone to go with. My daughter lives in Lexington and I visit her and my grandson often. Maybe we can get together on one of my trips to visit. I am in East Tennessee near Bristol.

Torie

Apr 1, 2014
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Lexington! You'll love it here. I live near Lake Murray and bought a Fisher F4 when they lowered the lake level last Fall.

Nerdwithguns

Greenie
Jul 11, 2014
Elgin, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just getting back into metal detecting after a 4 year hiatus. I live in Elgin. Would be glad to go out and see what we can find sometime.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Leesville.
F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Never detected much with a buddy, would like to.

Nerdwithguns

Greenie
Jul 11, 2014
Elgin, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dahut I live in Elgin so that is a good ways away. We could try to meet somewhere in the middle if you know of any places to go.
Garrett AT Pro

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahut I live in Elgin so that is a good ways away. We could try to meet somewhere in the middle if you know of any places to go.
Garrett AT Pro

Thanks, I don't really know of any off the top of my head, outside of whatever common places can be found on a map.
I did detect near the Riverbanks zoo once, the bluffs overlooking the river. There was a small public picnic area there, off to one side.
I was waiting for my wife who was at a job meeting nearby. I found a few modern coins and an unfired Spencer cleaner bullet that day. I was messing with a little Ace 250 then, and as I recall the bullet read as a nickel.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nerdwithguns

Greenie
Jul 11, 2014
Elgin, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been looking for some places myself. We could try down by the zoo and I think there are some parks in the area. There is also down by the river as you go into Columbia on I-126. Losts of collage kids like to go there.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for some places myself. We could try down by the zoo and I think there are some parks in the area. There is also down by the river as you go into Columbia on I-126. Losts of collage kids like to go there.

I've been told that area by the river has been sealed off by the authorities - thanks to "off grid" transients and the college kids... and their usual shenanigans. I know someone who had their car towed from there recently for that reason.
Too bad, too, that was always a nice little hang out.
Across from the zoo is the site of an old mill... And now the Riverbanks Horticultural Center and Gardens. It's been a few years since I've been there, but it wasn't detector friendly THEN.

Do you have a water detector? There's the big beach by the L. Murray dam.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nerdwithguns

Greenie
Jul 11, 2014
Elgin, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have an at pro I can use it in up to 10' of water. I was thinking of trying boat landings along the Edisto and Lynches rivers. Also on 378 going to Sumter at the bridge there. People camp there sometimes. Have you ever detected in Gilbert at the peach festival site. I am about to head out to try a beach on a nearby lake to see how it does in water.

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I'm in batesburg. I detect around town, I'm never Hites with anyone, let me know if you want to get out together, I go as often as time and weather permits.

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Robert, Arthur here. I detect around the batesburg Leesville area, would love to find some new places, let me know if you want to hunt sometime

coastguardian

Jan 25, 2015
Blythewood SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family and I just relocated from TN to Blythewood SC, I would like to find a metal detecting meet up or group.

Nerdwithguns

Greenie
Jul 11, 2014
Elgin, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Palmetto Relic Hunters Club Meets on the 2th Tuesday of the month at the Cayce Historical Museum 1800 12th street Cayce,S.C.At 7:00pm. For infor RReeves@

Gary KP

Apr 18, 2022
I live in Lexington, new to detecting. If anyone would like to meet and do some detecting or show a newbie the ropes, I would appreciate it. I use to detect as a youngster for a short time. I am not sure if this thread is still active.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread