Greenville Spartanburg hunters

Spinnersdj

Oct 25, 2006
Hi I live in Gray Court but work in Mauldin I stay pretty busy but would love to do some hunting. I am new to the hobbie.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
camp croft, spartanburg county,sc, very large ww2 training camp and barracks...played around there alot as a kid.........gldhntr

OP
OP
rotty23

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
I thought Camp Croft was a state park and off limits to md'ing?...I also was told there used to be a health spa
up in that area up into the 60s but was built in the late 1800s to early 1900s but the lady at work who told me about it couldnt remember where it was...but it was in the Whitestone area off of 56 somewhere...she is 43 and says that her mother used to take her there for spring water and she played on the hotel steps...and at that time the steps were all that was left of the spa.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
part of the original camp is now a park but only a small part of it. an old fellow that trained there said the present park is only about 1/10th of the original camp.....it extended well past the present day fuel tank complex, the old moreland chemical plant, etc...several of the barrack buildings were still standing last time i was in the area around 1990-91, these being on the far side of the fuel tank complex from the present park, {long narrow buildings side by side}.....i would try library for old maps showing original grounds...also one of the last used covered bridges in the state was very close to the park where a side road crossed the rr tracks.......g

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
thinking more about spartanburg. i can not remember the road names or the park name but along old i-85 through spartanburg there was an exit at a place called heron circle where the dolly madison cake plant was for years {may still be}..at one time the marshall tucker band owned a bar on this circle beside an old ice cream shop...anyway on the road off this circle that heads into spartanburg there was a city park about two miles or three towards the city along this road on the right..there was a large pond/lake where everyone went on weekends to feed the ducks..also at this park was a miniature train with tracks that circled the park..in the early 1960s till at least the 1980s and probably much earlier you could go to this park on weekends or during the summer and there would be many people {sometimes hundreds} waiting to ride the train...it costed 10 cents and eventually went to a quarter....the park was still open in the early 90s but you could tell the train hadn't run in years although the tracks and building that housed the train were still there along with the old ticket booth....if not mistaken this place should be detectable being a city owned park....just past the park on the left at the bottom of the hill was {may still be} a ballfield where professional teams used to play..my father took me to a pro game there in the early 1960s and he told me of the many pro teams he saw there as a teenager in the early 1950s .......gldhntr

FindinPlows

Sep 8, 2006
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
EXP II , Discovery 3300
The Spartanburg City website says you need a permit to hunt that park but that little train was neat. (guess I'm showing my age).

night0wl

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
gldhntr said:
camp croft, spartanburg county,sc, very large ww2 training camp and barracks...played around there alot as a kid.........gldhntr

I grew up in the camp croft area as well(still living in Spbtg.) and will be purchasing a detector soon. I found several old bits and pieces of ordinance as a kid. My father would just about have a coronary when I invariably drug them home.

Maybe would get together for a bit of hunting.

Brent

night0wl

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
rotty23 said:
I thought Camp Croft was a state park and off limits to md'ing?...I also was told there used to be a health spa
up in that area up into the 60s but was built in the late 1800s to early 1900s but the lady at work who told me about it couldnt remember where it was...but it was in the Whitestone area off of 56 somewhere...she is 43 and says that her mother used to take her there for spring water and she played on the hotel steps...and at that time the steps were all that was left of the spa.

There was a mineral spring near whitestone that people bathed in and yes there was a large hotel there as well. If I remember the stories correctly there was a train line that went to it for the affluent who wished lodge and bathe. That whole area dates back a ways.

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
gldhntr said:
thinking more about spartanburg. i can not remember the road names or the park name but along old i-85 through spartanburg there was an exit at a place called heron circle where the dolly madison cake plant was for years {may still be}..at one time the marshall tucker band owned a bar on this circle beside an old ice cream shop...anyway on the road off this circle that heads into spartanburg there was a city park about two miles or three towards the city along this road on the right..there was a large pond/lake where everyone went on weekends to feed the ducks..also at this park was a miniature train with tracks that circled the park..in the early 1960s till at least the 1980s and probably much earlier you could go to this park on weekends or during the summer and there would be many people {sometimes hundreds} waiting to ride the train...it costed 10 cents and eventually went to a quarter....the park was still open in the early 90s but you could tell the train hadn't run in years although the tracks and building that housed the train were still there along with the old ticket booth....if not mistaken this place should be detectable being a city owned park....just past the park on the left at the bottom of the hill was {may still be} a ballfield where professional teams used to play..my father took me to a pro game there in the early 1960s and he told me of the many pro teams he saw there as a teenager in the early 1950s .......gldhntr

The park you speak of is Cleavland Park.It was completely tore out and redone,even the little pond.They moved so much dirt that I don't think there would be any old stuff.Most of it would be kids stuff,maybe jewelery,and coins.Watch out for the dope heads,robbers, and prostitutes.I went there recently to meet with an old friend.While I was there,I was approached by a prostitute,a guy selling stolen or fake jewelry,and had another person try to steal my motorcycle.So just be careful if you get to hunt there. http://www.spartanburgparks.org/cleveland.htm

stevorhine

May 5, 2012
rotty23 said:

I believe your talking about the old glen springs motel

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Greer. Usually go out to Oconee county with FastJman1 (member) and do the gold thing. I have an AT Gold and try get out when I can around close but really don't know where to go or something else always comes up to stop me from going. I work nights so that throws in a wrench but off on weekends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread