Looking for buddies in the Charleston area

dman80

May 30, 2015
Low Country, SC
Detector(s) used
Deus XP, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my wife just came back from being stationed in Germany and would like to get together and go out with some people in the area. Have a couple years experience metal detecting but most of it was in Germany. Anyone who would like to get together and do some beach hunting or relic hunting just give me a shout.

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt around the upper lake frequently. Occasionally the wife and i make it to charleston.....good luck and HH

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20 Quick Silver 10" Spider coil, and also a Garrett AT Pro, with NEL Storm
and also a AT Gold. MineLab Equinox 800
And my newest addition: 2 sided 400 KG underwater salvage recovery magne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dman, i live on Ashley Phosphate and I LOve to hunt. i have a Fisher CZ20, AT pro, AT Gold, and a floating sifter pro from kellyco, wife has a F2. Would love to go hunt sometime. I was stationed in Merrell Barracks, Nuremburg, Germany 1982-1985 84th Engineer Bn, 2nd ACR. My name is Mel

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20 Quick Silver 10" Spider coil, and also a Garrett AT Pro, with NEL Storm
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done any diving in a very long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt Marion, is it legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aharwood

Jul 7, 2015
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - I just posted in lost and found. My husband lost his wedding ring yesterday on Folly Beach. We are preparing to go out around low tide tonight to search - around 6 pm. Any advice on finding his ring or anyone want to come for the hunt? If so, send me a text at 412 716 3278. Thanks!

OP
OP
dman80

dman80

May 30, 2015
Low Country, SC
Detector(s) used
Deus XP, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for anyone to hunt with, my wife is pregnant and not wanting to go out with me as much as she use to and with the heat I always like hunting with someone.

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twin Picks

Jun 29, 2015
Low Country
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dman / Mels05toy.

If your still looking for someone to hunt with, I would be interested for a weekend hunt. I have allot of experience but am new to the area. I have a few spots so far producing older coins and would be happy to share.
email me if you like: [email protected]
-Darin

-aharwood,
Hope you found your ring! if not I wouldn't mind helping you look for it. as long as it was lost in the dry sand and not the water. feel free to email me.

HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
La Porte County, Indiana and SC Low-country part t
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dman / Mels05toy.

If your still looking for someone to hunt with, I would be interested for a weekend hunt. I have allot of experience but am new to the area. I have a few spots so far producing older coins and would be happy to share.
email me if you like: [email protected]
-Darin

-aharwood,
Hope you found your ring! if not I wouldn't mind helping you look for it. as long as it was lost in the dry sand and not the water. feel free to email me.

Hey Twin Picks. I too am new to the area although but have been going down to HHI area for years. I will be down in the area Feb 19-25 if you are interested. Hoping to spend about 12 weeks per year down there eventually. Let me know if you would like to get together.

-Rick

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to tag along with some of you guys. Live in Charleston. Looking for my 1st detector but have not decided yet on which one. Would be cool to tag along with someone with some experience.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would love to tag along with some of you guys. Live in Charleston. Looking for my 1st detector but have not decided yet on which one. Would be cool to tag along with someone with some experience.

I admire your common sense approach to determining what would be a good entry level machine to get by trying out different brands before spending the $$.

Your better bet to get a hook up is to find and obtain permission for you and a friend to metal detect a property or properties then post an invite for someone with some detectors to show you the ropes and let you try the machines out. The biggest challenge for any digger now a days is to find places to dig, particularly in Charleston where everyone is drawn in search of the elusive slave tags. A lot of doors are closed since many residents are weary of people asking, or worse trespassers. You post that you have some Charleston "permission" properties lined up for the purpose of getting assistance in a first time purchase and you will be surprised at the number of responses.:thumbsup:

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas Dug. Unfortunately, I dont have a lot of connections here but will ask a few folks. After posting, I suspected I might not get much response until I at least had gotten a detector and had a little experience with it. Still trying to narrow down which detector to go with for the first one. Dont want to spend too much but dont want to get something that is worthless either. Going to try to stay in that $250-$400 range for a starter. Been reading a ton on this site though and there is lots more to it than I knew, so looking forward to learning more.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because of the laws in place against relic digging in SC you will need to work on your abilities to obtain permission or you won't have many places to use your detector. That is unless you plan on beach detecting for clad coins and jewelry. If the latter then you might want to read archived posts in the "Beach and shallow water" forum on TN. You will find that there aren't any machines in your budget range that can handle the wet salt sand very well. If you have someone claiming they do, tell them you would want to be shown first hand on a beach. Just about the only machines that can handle wet salt sand without the accompanying falsing that gets frustrating are pulse or multi frequency machines which can be 2-3 times your budget.

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, I was just going to fiddle around the neighborhood, our church, a few parks, etc. in the west Ashley area until we move. After spending hours of looking at videos, am seriously looking at the Fisher F44 as my first MD. Do you have any thoughts on that or are there any other detectors that I might check out? I had read about the issues with wet sand/ salt water and though I would enjoy searching the beaches, don't see that happening a whole lot - at least in the near future. I also picked up that detecting is frowned upon in a lot of areas here in Charleston, but assumed that I could do parks, old graveyards, etc. and that I would be ok as long as i wasn't doing it in downtown Charleston. Is that not the case? That's the other part of the getting permission to hunt around here. We are moving to Louisiana this summer. Will be living outside of Shreveport area in Benton/Bossier area, so there is really not a whole lot of time left here. However, I do have one really good connection with the Riverdogs and thought I might see about searching out in that area. Guess I need to read up more though on laws on detecting in our area.....

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bear in mind that most folks do not have a sense of humor when they see someone standing in a graveyard with a shovel in their hands. I don't detect old graveyards out of courtesy to the families of those buried there.

I cannot speak for what is safe to detect in Charleston per city laws, as I don't get up that way often enough to meet anyone or do any detecting there.

The jist of the law is that on public lands you cannot remove anything older than 100 years for then it is considered an artifact. So technically by the law coins dated 1917 or earlier are considered artifacts. I know it sounds silly, but the law was pushed through by archeologists. Here is one link I pulled off the internet but I'm sure there are many more. Metal Detecting In South Carolina? Know The Law!

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For a little local clarification; the law that is linked specifically covers state parks, not state owned public lands in general. The ARAP law that was listed is Federal law and pertains specifically to federal lands, e.g. the Francis Marion.

Municipalities can and have set their own laws. The city of Charleston specifically forbids metal detecting in city parks and/or city property. They also claim domain out 11 feet BELOW the low mean tide level (basically, 11 feet into the water when its at it's lowest point meaning that's legally off limits too). Also keep in mind that the city of Charleston occupies more than just the peninsula area. I think they primarily get their panties in a bunch over people detecting in that area, but the law covers the entire city. SC law also lays claim to ALL waterways within the state for finds. Limited numbers of permits are available for recovering stuff in said waterways (lakes, rivers, creeks, etc...), but those permits are pretty heavily regulated.

A good reference to check the various local and county codes is Municode.com. They list most places here in the Lowcountry. For state laws go to scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php . With those two sites you can pretty much cover laws for the entire state!

I do agree 100% permissions in the area have gotten harder and harder to obtain. Not only for the issues Dug previously mentioned, but because some people who had permissions abused them thereby ruining it for everyone! One example; a very close friend is a service planner for one of the local power companies (won't say which, but they cover areas you wouldn't think they'd be in....and all of them have great potential spots!). He was east of the Cooper on an 18th century plantation and was talking with the owner. He has a standing request from me to get an introduction to property owners if the chance arises so I can personally talk with them about permission. He mentioned detecting to the owner who told him he used to allow people to detect there. At first it was the guy who asked and he'd occasionally bring a friend or two, no problem. He stated that not long afterwards though groups of people were coming and going at all times of the day, sometimes with the guy and sometimes without. They'd run all over his property and he didn't know any of them. Because of the larger groups that began coming and having no basic respect for the fact this was the man's home, he pulled the permission from the guy and now refuses to grant one to anyone!

Most of us here in the Lowcountry suffer and struggle for at least one or two good permissions we can hunt freely!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread