Jun 28, 2015
La Porte County, Indiana and SC Low-country part t
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

My main home is in Indiana, but we have decided to spend a lot more time down in the SC low country. Have been to Hilton Head Island many times since the 80's. I have a place just off HHI.

So, we spent about three weeks down there over the holidays and I am trying to figure out detecting sites. Did about 4 hunts at Mitchelville Beach, but pretty much just found clad. Found quite a few encrusted coins that tricked me into thinking they could be old, but no dice.... clad. For those of you that know this location, the beach is huge at low tide. My first time there, forgot about the tides and was shocked that I only had about 5-10 feet of beach. Came back later with the wife and my jaw dropped. The beach was about 500 yards out to the water now. Amazing. Anyway, I found some small buckshot pellets out on the sand bar. Not sure on the age. Based on my research, all beaches on HHI are fair game. Seem like they are sensitive about anything inland, but will have to check that out.

I then decided to hit a park in the Bluffton area and didn't have much luck there either. Did find my first V-nickel, so that was cool.

Hoping to spend more time in the area and it would be great to find someone nearby to do some MDing with. I have been doing a lot of research, but am amazed that there are few plat books available for the 1800's and 1900's. Used to the detailed plat maps here in Indiana which show homes, schools, etc.

I will be heading back down there in February some time for a week again and then again in April. Would be great to get together with someone that knows the area. Getting the its since the ground is frozen solid here up north in Indiana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions