Recommendations for a newbie in SC...

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have seen countless questions on which machine to buy. I wanted to expand that question a little. Can any of you tell me what I need to look for? Whats the deal on concentric vs. DD coils? What should I look for regarding the diameter of the coils? What is ground balancing? Discrimination settings? I cant go too expensive on a first machine but didnt want to buy the cheapest either. Was looking at a $3-400 price range. Leaning towards a Fisher F4, but would like to hear others' thoughts on that machine or suggestions on other machines for a newbie. I live in Charleston but will be moving to N. Louisiana this summer, so am thinking the best machine for me would be one to use in fields/woods/parks, etc. As far as what I am hunting, coins/relics/jewelry/bottles. Of course I hope I find gold, but not really planning on digging in any old mines at this point.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey T.

My best advice to you would be to check around the area for metal detecting clubs. They are always happy to have visitors and don't mind answering questions from newbies. Charleston is a Mecca for detectorists! PM me if I can help.

Good luck,
Smittyman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread