CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning all,

My mother-in-law lives on HHI. Sweetie and I visit a couple of weekends a month. There are always 'Would you look at' projects around the home that invariably arise which I gladly attend to, but they are usually quickly rectified. Then I have down time. I don't care to go shopping. I don't golf. I don't care to hang on the beach. Whatever am I to do after chores?

There are a LOT of parcels of un-cleared property on the island with signs reading 'This property protected by the city of HHI'... presumably owned by the city. Some have caught my eye and I'll think 'I'd like to swing that spot', but don't know anything about SC laws/rules/whatever about MDing in the state. Then there are the beaches. I've never beach hunted, plus I don't know SC/HHI rules/regulations concerning beach hunting.

So, if anyone on this forum can and will increase my knowledge on the subject I would be most appreciative. IF detecting is allowed and anyone in the area is willing to drag me along I would be even more appreciative. I don't post often, but I do scan the forum every morning. Thanks in advance for anyone sharing knowledge on this subject. I will reply so you'll know I've seen what has been shared.

Robin

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imo... you will fine sticking to the beaches.

The beaches of HHI are good recent drop areas.

Hunted them in late 90,s though so who knows now. :)

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the text of the current HHI city ordinance:

Sec. 17-2-112. - Damaging or looting archaeological/historical sites.

(a) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) Archaeological/historical site: Property which has yielded or may reasonably be expected to yield information on the prehistory or history of Hilton Head Island, including, but not limited to, such sites as may be listed on the National Register of Historic Places or designated as eligible or potentially eligible for inclusion on such register.
(2) Artifact: An object or fragment thereof made or shaped by human workmanship prior to January 1, 1940.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to damage or disturb or cause to be damaged or disturbed any area, structure or artifact on an archaeological/historical site located within the town limits, without prior written permission from the town manager or his designee. Each such act of damage or disturbance shall constitute a separate offense.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly disturb or remove from the ground any artifact located on any archaeological/historical site as defined hereinabove or elsewhere within the town limits. The disturbance or removal of each such artifact shall constitute a separate offense. Provided, however, that, if such artifact is discovered by the owner of private property upon which it is located, the town manager or his designee shall be promptly notified and such artifact shall not be removed or disturbed until appropriate public officials have been afforded a reasonable opportunity to examine such artifact and the location of its discovery.

(d) The use of any metal detector, probe or similar such device or instrument on any archaeological/historical site shall be deemed prima facia evidence of intent to violate (b) and (c) of this section and shall constitute a separate offense.

(e) Each violation of this section shall be punishable as provided for in section 1-5-10 of this Code. Any artifact recovered pursuant to a violation of (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, become the property of the Town of Hilton Head Island.

What they define as "archaeological/historical sites" seems pretty broad! Their directions about items found on private property are also somewhat concerning. As others have stated, the beach is a pretty safe area. Keep in mind HHI claims 150 yards into the water below mean tide level also. The City of Charleston has similar laws which are pretty darned restrictive, glad not all areas of SC are this way!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sign saying it is protected by City of HHI, only means that the cops may patrol in that area, and is intended as a deterrent. It does not mean it is owned by the city.

OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Y'all. Seems rather restrictive for possible land sites, don't know that I want to pursue it. Beach... well, I've never searched beaches. Not very interested in lost jewelry, although there is potential for valuable finds. I'm more of a 'Hummm... this looks like there may be a silver coin or two' kind of detecting feller. Appreciate the text of the city ordinance and link to beach regulations.

Robin

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Y'all. Seems rather restrictive for possible land sites, don't know that I want to pursue it. Beach... well, I've never searched beaches. Not very interested in lost jewelry, although there is potential for valuable finds. I'm more of a 'Hummm... this looks like there may be a silver coin or two' kind of detecting feller. Appreciate the text of the city ordinance and link to beach regulations.

Robin

beach hunting is best my man. tell you what, you send me any silver or gold or diamond jewelry you find and I'll send you the odd stuff I find in indy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread