New Member - Looking for Gold!

schoolsout

Greenie
Apr 15, 2018
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, guys/gals...posted intro in main section, but figured I'd post here. A buddy and I just bought a folding sluice, pan, clarifiers, etc kit off eBay just looking to kill some time and get lucky looking for some gold in SC and surrounding states if we can get there. Have access to some farms in Bradley, SC and Saluda, SC that have creeks, etc running through them. Went to Saluda this past weekend just to hang out with some friends, but since the pans, etc showed up in mail a few days prior, I took a few with me with hopes of trying out. Spent most of the time just riding around, flying drones and shooting guns, but did make it back in the woods/back of pastures to check the creeks/rivers and other dried creekbeds out and dug a hole or three before figuring out we were both getting covered in numerous ticks and just calling things off at that point (we did not prepare for ticks so that definitely didn't help our situation). Panned 3 loads of dirt, but I'm sure I was digging in all the wrong areas and my technique probably needs major improvement, but it was fun to try for the first time and it helped condition the pans a bit more, I guess. Anyways, below are a few pics I took while walking around. Did find some nice looking areas that were fairly dried out and looked like slate (I think) washed out in a natural looking riffle formation in certain parts. Did not poke around there too long as we only had a shovel and a little bag of clarifiers and a pan. Do plan on getting some more tools and coming up with a better plan next time we decide to go.

IMG_0800.jpg IMG_0803.jpg IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0806 (1).jpg IMG_0809.jpg IMG_0811.jpg IMG_0805.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Join a Club. It will help you get started MUCH faster!

City: Simpsonville
Club: G.P.A.A Simpsonville Chapter
Phone: 864-963-0821
Email:
FaceBook:
Newsletter:
Club Information:

gp-panning.gif

Section Two (B): A List of South Carolina Gold Prospecting Clubs
That May Not be Any Longer Active

gp-man3.gif

City: Charleston
Club: G.P.A.A Charleston Chapter
Phone: 843-367-1418
Email:

gp-man3.gif

City: Laurens
Club: G.P.A.A Laurens Chapter
Phone:
Email:

gp-man3.gif

City: Seneca
Club: G.P.A.A Seneca Chapter
Phone: 864-843-6729

OP
OP
S

schoolsout

Greenie
Apr 15, 2018
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! Join a Club. It will help you get started MUCH faster!

City: Simpsonville
Club: G.P.A.A Simpsonville Chapter
Phone: 864-963-0821
Email:
FaceBook:
Newsletter:
Club Information:

gp-panning.gif

Section Two (B): A List of South Carolina Gold Prospecting Clubs
That May Not be Any Longer Active

gp-man3.gif

City: Charleston
Club: G.P.A.A Charleston Chapter
Phone: 843-367-1418
Email:

gp-man3.gif

City: Laurens
Club: G.P.A.A Laurens Chapter
Phone:
Email:

gp-man3.gif

City: Seneca
Club: G.P.A.A Seneca Chapter
Phone: 864-843-6729

I hope to at some point soon. I fish a good bit so that will occupy most of my time from Spring-Fall

Jan 20, 2010
Greenwood, S.C.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT, TDI
Fisher F75
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab GPX 5000, Explorer SE
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schoolsout, Welcome to treasurenet. I must say that it is best if you do a lot of research on areas that have been known to produce gold in the past. Search for the old gold mines in the area you are interested in panning for gold. You mentioned Bradley area. Bradley is in an area where there was gold locations as such was the town of McCormick which is not far away. There is a gold mine open to the public (tourist trap) that you can purchase salted bags of gold and pan right there on the spot (if you like that sort of stuff). It is good for practice. As mentioned in an earlier post, look for a local club. There is one in Augusta, Ga that meets once a month. It did have a parcel of land leased in McCormick at one time. It has been years since I attended the club, but I still get e-mails when the meeting is taking place every month. Happy prospecting !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions