WMA permission

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
Just wondering if anyone has gained permission to detect wildlife management areas through SCDNR.I know the rules an regulations books states you must gain written permission before detecting.I called our local office for our zone the first of the year after and got passed down through a chain of people,none who were of any help.Pretty much they all said no but the books says "maybe" I sent a email to the head office today to see if I can get an answer on how to obtain written permission.Anyone ever had luck with this??

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
scdetector said:
Just wondering if anyone has gained permission to detect wildlife management areas through SCDNR.I know the rules an regulations books states you must gain written permission before detecting.I called our local office for our zone the first of the year after and got passed down through a chain of people,none who were of any help.Pretty much they all said no but the books says "maybe" I sent a email to the head office today to see if I can get an answer on how to obtain written permission.Anyone ever had luck with this??

Probably will be denied permission. It's State Managed Lands for hunting which is a huge source of income for the DNR. If they were to allow permission to go out on the WMA's to everyone, it would stir the wildlife up possibly upsetting the ecosystems in which Waterfowl, Turkey, Deer, Boar, etc live in. If this was to affect the hunting of game, then the DNR would lose money and that's not a risk they are willing to take.

Plus, the DNR has it's own team of Archaeologists.

-Ian
SC DNR Video

OP
OP
scdetector

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
I kinda figured, I should have took more advantage detecting while it was private property.The only time I ever went was after Turkey season while there was not any hunts going on.Cant hurt to try

ron in sc

Aug 6, 2006
i've hunted wma and never had any problems i have even talked to game wardens while out in the trails and woods. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
scdetector

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
I spoke with one warden a while back and he was nice and said no problem but another that patrols the area said no and detecting is a thing of the past, which it is in the regulations book about detecting as well as artifact hunting.When this area was private property I made some awesome finds, actually about 20 colonial plantations are scattered out here and there ,several camps sites from the revolutionary war ect.... I really do not see why it would be an issue when there is no hunting season in,I got friends who go and walk around bird watching in the woods on WMA.I see no difference walking around with headphones detecting but I guess the law is the law.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
scdetector said:
but I guess the law is the law.

That's really the bottom line. If you've never had a problem...then that's terrific...but it only takes one officer to enforce the rules and no old coin, button, or relic is worth having all of my equipment confiscated, fined and/or going to jail.

Greg
SCdigger

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SCdigger said:
scdetector said:
but I guess the law is the law.

That's really the bottom line. If you've never had a problem...then that's terrific...but it only takes one officer to enforce the rules and no old coin, button, or relic is worth having all of my equipment confiscated, fined and/or going to jail.

Greg
SCdigger

Amen Greg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread