Summerville and shark teeth hunting

techoverload

Apr 14, 2009
Charleston, sc
theres a drainage ditch in college park estates I used to go to as a kid and find TONS of shark teeth. Its kinda grown up and hidden now but I'm sure you can find tons there still. I'm looking for someone to go with so if interested let me know.

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
Try the ditches near fort dorchester, they produce all kinds of good stuff.

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
I've surveyed a few properties very near to the old fort. The ditches were full of items.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Thanks guys, I have been doing a ton of research and finding teeth. I was lucky enough to hook up with a couple of guys and they have shown me the ropes.

My best advice to anyone considering this is to look at google earth mr some maps, find streams, canals (remember tides when dealing with some canals) and go and actually investigate areas. DO NOT dig into the embankments as this will get you a ticket really quick and if you are around the Summerville area that is a $450 ticket. I always dig below the water and never had any truobles and I have talked with a couple of police officers and a DNR officer and they all said the same thing as I jsut told you about digging.

Good luck!!! and you couldbe the next person to find a 7" meg tooth!!!!!!

trpnd35

May 6, 2011
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ProPointer
I have lived in the Summerville area for about 7 years, you are bound to find magladon teeth just about anywhere.

mleetaylor

Nov 6, 2008
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashley river shark teeth hunting in Summerville SC

Here is a suggestion of a Summerville site. Potentially virgin.

Put some sort of water craft in the Ashley river at the end of Trolley road. Use the Herbert Jessen landing.

Check the tide tables. Get in the water during the incoming tide. Go upstream until you run out of water.

Park, get out, and hunt.

During high SLACK tide, get back in the water craft and head home.

Happy hunting!

Video clip of site downstream of Herbert Jessen landing
[youtube=425,350]kDIM682vNao[/youtube]

MrColgate

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2011
Northeast Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that Summerville has really cracked down on the shark tooth hunting in the public areas. There was a real problem with people digging some very large holes in the banks of the ditches and creeks and just leaving them. I believe that they passed a City ordinance that carries a pretty hefty fine. The link below has some additional information.

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/GoFossilHunting/tabid/65/Default.aspx

MrC.

techoverload

Apr 14, 2009
Charleston, sc
Hey guys, I know this thread is old but I went tooth hunting today with my fiancée in the ditch around summerville/ladson area. We found a few very small teeth and one about an inch big, it looks like they have dredged the ditch so what ever is there now is wash down from further up stream. Its been about 16 years since I lived around there and a lot has changed. Back in the day we would have our pockets slam full of teeth after a few hours. Our biggest find there was a 3-4 inch megalodon tooth. I do know of a secret little area I used to go hang out back in the day and according to Google earth still looks untouched. The was a small waterfall, only about 3 feet in height, with a pool at the base. I want to try and get back there soon to see if theres any finds there. I seam to have found a descent parking spot in college park where no one with bother my truck. But with EMS tags nobody with mess with it in the first place. But I'm in that area on just about a daily basis now and wouldn't mind someone coming along. Just shoot me a message and let know if you want to join up.

techoverload

Apr 14, 2009
Charleston, sc
Well I just got back from a 5 hours hunt in the college park area, its dead there now. Came out finding nothing more than some baby teeth, mosquitoes and an alligator. Should have chopped him over the head and took his teeth, at least it would have been something. I guess my next venture will be further into Summerville.

Sep 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in from Florida 36 with my lifetime friend Garry. We would love to meet you at that spot. Any chance you r around tomorrow? If you are call me in the morning. We will be in the area trying to find a good place to dig. Happy to give you some Florida colorful teeth for sharing
[email protected] Heather will come right to me

shandi1973

Sep 30, 2012
Summerville,SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just moved here from New York State this month and ran into youtube videos on shark teeth finding down here! Would love to start as a new hobby for myself and daughter. I have read about not using tools and digging being against the law. no worries there! I am very unfamiliar with the area and wondered if anyone could point me in a direction of any public streams to start looking?I live near Summerville High so anywhere close to that would be a start..until I get to know the area better. thanks!! =)

Djsaunders74

Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I just started hunting for shark teeth a couple of weeks ago here in Summerville. My first day me and my dad found 55 shark teeth at the first location we went to! Granted almost all of them were pretty small but I did manage to find a decent sized one that was fully intact. But I was wondering what kind of equipment you guys recommend and where to get it. The location we are going to is only about a foot deep of water and we are using cat pooper scoopers and plastic strainers that you strain pasta or Mac and cheese out.

tjgrey

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Charleston, SC
What's up guys and gals! I have been here in the area for about 6 years now and would love to go and see how it's done sometime if anyone is out! I have a kid that is obsessed with megalodon teeth...

TJ

ncmurphy

Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow treasure hunters, I am a new member from Charlotte, NC area and very excited about this site.
My son and I have many trips/ideas planned for fossil/shark teeth hunting the first of which is this coming up weekend to Summerville/Charleston area.
Have spent a lot of time on the internet and not knowing the area the best that I can determine so far is Jeremy's inlet may offer something.
I have also heard that there are spoil islands in Charleston area though that's all I know.
Haven't been able to find any locations for Summerville and I haven't been there before.

If there is any information that could be shared about locations to search for teeth and fossils in the Summerville or Charleston it would be greatly appreciated, trying to find fossils for a young paleontologist to be.

Thanks
Murph

ncmurphy

Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed how old this string was !!!

Hope to hear from you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions