mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning our summer vacation and we want to go over to Mount Rushmore this year. So I am reaching out to fellow detectists for information. Where to camp at where there are beaches where people gather and swim. If there is any place to pan and nugget detect. Plus if anyone would like to get together to detect and pan. This will take place around July......Thanks Matt

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Matt,

I'm not much into detecting although I have two bounty hunters, I'm more into mining. I have two claims in the Hills. As far as beaches there is Sheridan Lake about 15 miles west of Rapid City and Pactola Resivoir also near Sheridan Lake. Then there is Angustora Resivoir south of Hot Springs about 60 or so miles from Rapid. As far as nugget detecting almost any public land in the Hills. Nuggets are pretty rare out here though. Panning pretty much the same thing. Just becareful not to get on someones claim. Some claim owners will let you dig and pan for a fee ranging from $15 to $45 a day. If you are a GPAA member they have claims in the hills you can go to and camp on. Sheridan and Angustora have camping as well but it is best to get a reservation. Oh I almost forgot Deerfield resivoir about 15 miles west of Hill City. Also camping there.
Hope this helps.

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread