Spanish Cob identification Request

panamaspace

Jan 25, 2009
Hi all.

I have enjoyed reading through this forum, as I have been collecting coins since childhood.

For the longest time I have been wondering about this Spanish Cob which was handed to me by my mother, who got it from her mother... who got it from who knows who.

This is the crown jewel of my small collection. As an amateur coin collector I am saddened by the soldered link, as I assume it lowers its value considerably.

I have never actually worn it, and never saw my mother do either. I also have never attempted to clean it in fear of damaging it.

I am in Panama, but I am at least certain it is not a "Panama Mint" coin (http://www.coins-of-panama.com/cobs.html?Size=SmallNOen, as I can't make out an "A" over the P. Rather, I see a "T". I tried it to track it down about 6 months ago, but was unsuccessful. None of the online guides I found covered that particular combination of digits and letters, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

The coin itself is as worn as can be expected for something that was probably in actual circulation for a good part of its life. My guess it must have been soldered in the late 1800s. since my mother was born in 1931 as it was already a family "heirloom" and I believe she got it as is.

This coin only comes out of my jewelry chest occasionally, everybody oohs and aahs, and some ask if it is for sale.

I have included seven pictures I just took, with a U.S. quarter next and on top of it for reference, and a ruler in millimeters next to it.

This sucker is heavy, and I would appreciate knowing exactly what it is and what might be its value if I am ever inclined to part with it.

It seems everybody here is extremely knowledgeable and appreciates a challenge. I imagine it has taken me longer to type this than getting an answer will.

I appreciate your help and await your replies and questions, though I fear I have not much to add.

Thanks!

Attachments

• dsc02720.jpg
    dsc02720.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 297
  • dsc02721.jpg
    dsc02721.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 295
  • dsc02722.jpg
    dsc02722.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 291
  • dsc02723.jpg
    dsc02723.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 296
  • dsc02724.jpg
    dsc02724.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 289
  • dsc02725.jpg
    dsc02725.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 301
  • dsc02726.jpg
    dsc02726.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 290

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hi Panamaspace. You have a 1760 8 reale piece struck at the Potosi mint under assayer Q (Louis de Quintanilla). A full weight coin would be a little over 27 grams. It is a fairly nice coin and is desirable because it has a legible date on both sides. The "T" you see over the P is part of the motto "PLVS ULTRA" which means "more beyond" and was used to encourage Spanish explorers to go beyond the Pillars of Hercules and on to the New World. A professional could remove the soldered on loop without much trouble if you wanted to take it off. Just don't let anyone clean it or take abrasives to it. Assuming that year is of average rarity I would guess it would be worth about $250.

Stan

OP
OP
P

panamaspace

Jan 25, 2009
Stan,

Thank you very much for your erudite (and fast) reply.

I now have a beautiful story to go with my coin!

Regards,

PS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread