Interesting Story on Cave Hoard Coins

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
I decided to start a new topic on this even though you need to look at "Mel Fisher's Favorite Coin" to get the start of the story. I wrote the Ebay seller trying to find out more about the coin hoard that my 1730 square cob came from. He has a few more of the coins on Ebay now. He wrote me back the following email.
Stan

hello
i will try to explain in my best english,sorry im from mexico,well in the summer of 2007 some storm has lots of rain,and a part of a mountain colapse,and open a closed cave,some peoples some days after walk to see damage,and found the cave,and they make a discovery of this treasure,they found about 1500 coins of silver (i buy about 1100) moslty if the dates are around 1725-1731 mostly 1730,they found few gold coins sadely they dont want to sell me,but the most extraordinary are the military equipment,like uniforms,boots,swords,saddles,military hats,guns and more,that lot sell to a dealer from the morelos state,i see just a few photos of this treasure,from the lot of coin i buy i keep about 250 coins,and some times i put on ebay.

regards

jehuel

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DiveWrecks said:
I decided to start a new topic on this even though you need to look at "Mel Fisher's Favorite Coin" to get the start of the story. I wrote the Ebay seller trying to find out more about the coin hoard that my 1730 square cob came from. He has a few more of the coins on Ebay now. He wrote me back the following email.
Stan

hello
i will try to explain in my best english,sorry im from mexico,well in the summer of 2007 some storm has lots of rain,and a part of a mountain colapse,and open a closed cave,some peoples some days after walk to see damage,and found the cave,and they make a discovery of this treasure,they found about 1500 coins of silver (i buy about 1100) moslty if the dates are around 1725-1731 mostly 1730,they found few gold coins sadely they dont want to sell me,but the most extraordinary are the military equipment,like uniforms,boots,swords,saddles,military hats,guns and more,that lot sell to a dealer from the morelos state,i see just a few photos of this treasure,from the lot of coin i buy i keep about 250 coins,and some times i put on ebay.

regards

jehuel

So Stan, is this on the up & up?

MB

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
I believe the story. I bought my coin from him almost a year ago. He had about 6 or 8 for sale then. That is when I got the picture of the pile of the coins together. All of the coins have the same patina. They are close to full weight since they never were exposed to a corrosive environment. I am going to try to get some more information from him.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DiveWrecks said:
I believe the story. I bought my coin from him almost a year ago. He had about 6 or 8 for sale then. That is when I got the picture of the pile of the coins together. All of the coins have the same patina. They are close to full weight since they never were exposed to a corrosive environment. I am going to try to get some more information from him.

That's one great story!

Just imagine finding something like that!

I've got a really cool thing going right now with a treasure hunter who is well known. Wish I had $10,000 to blow right now.

MB

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Another reply.....

"i dont know the exact place they found this coins,i buy from a third person who contact with 2 of the group of mens who found this treasure,in mexico the laws are more hard and dangerous,and its better dont say anything,they preffer just sell the merchandise,and show pictures from the complete lot,and my friend say me last time they found more coins in the same cave,but now they dont want sell any more coins.,i keep part of the "best" group of coins,mostly like your cob,but major dates are the same 1730s and few 4 reales including the super rare 1730 assayer F/G and 2 coins of 8 reales from LUIS the First,from Peru and Bolivia."

Stan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like they're playing it cool to avoid having the government walk off with everything and them ending up in the slammer.

I know if I ever came upon a really big find I'd say nothing. I'd just slowly sell it off on ebay or directly to collectors via cash only.

It would be far better to forego the pride and glory thing.

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Here are the two I bought a few weeks back reunited with their square brother I bought about a year ago. They are undoubtedly from the same place because of their somewhat unique light brown patina. As you can see one of the new ones is fully dated. I couldn't resist the shape on the undated one. :P

Stan

Attachments

• square cob 4.jpg
    square cob 4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3,081
  • square cob 4.jpg
    square cob 4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,940
  • 1730a.jpg
    1730a.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2,973
  • 1730b.jpg
    1730b.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 2,992

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Stan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: let me know next time he puts more up on eBay, hopfully the Aussie dollar will be worth
a bit more.
Cheers Sam

P

pippinwhitepaws

fantastic find and story..great looking coins...

so why is the ebay listing out of tucson when you are in a southern state?

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
pippinwhitepaws said:
so why is the ebay listing out of tucson when you are in a southern state?

I think cuzcosquirrel was just pointing out that there was another coin listed from the same hoard. This is a different seller than I bought from (although there is probably some connection). This coin was listed a few weeks ago and didn't sell. I tried to get more information from the seller, but he was very vague. If anyone gets any further info from him please pass it on to me. It has the same characteristics and patina as the three I have. My favorite is still this square one, which was cut off in the picture of the three together in this thread....

Stan

Attachments

• 1730G-reverse.jpg
    1730G-reverse.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 2,682
  • 1730G-obverse.jpg
    1730G-obverse.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,696
  • 1730G-obverse.jpg
    1730G-obverse.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,679
  • 1730G-reverse.jpg
    1730G-reverse.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 2,689

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice Stan,cuadro ocho reale. I'm saving up for next time he puts more up for sale.
This my eight reale, need help on the king? what do you think?
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,650
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,638
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,593
OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Sam - Nice One!

Assayer D, 1724-1728, Philip V (or possibly Louis I who ruled for 7 months during this time)

I will get more info on the assayer when I get home....

Stan

P

pippinwhitepaws

thanks dive..nice hoard...when i lived down in acapulco it wasn't safe to go in the jungle...banditos ruled the areas outside the city

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
DiveWrecks said:
Sam - Nice One!

Assayer D, 1724-1728, Philip V (or possibly Louis I who ruled for 7 months during this time)

Stan

Assayer D was "Domingo Garcia de Mendiola". Coins produced by this assayer are said (Menzel) to be rarer than most. Neat coin. I like the stamp - gives character.

Stan

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveWrecks said:
DiveWrecks said:
Sam - Nice One!

Stan

Assayer D was "Domingo Garcia de Mendiola". Coins produced by this assayer are said (Menzel) to be rarer than most. Neat coin. I like the stamp - gives character.

Stan
Thanks Stan, you are a wealth of knowledge :thumbsup:
Sam

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Thanks Stan, you are a wealth of knowledge :thumbsup:
Sam

No, I just try to maintain a wealth of resources and a desire to learn. :icon_study:

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread