Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What's In A Certificate of Authenticity? COA

Over the years I've bought and sold many Spanish coins and cobs.

Most of these came with no COA.

One of the first things I get asked whenever offering a cob or other shipwreck item is "Does it come with a COA?"

I try to explain to people that in some situations there were no COAs made. Most people turn away when they find out the item is accompanied with no piece of paper.

I usually ask such persons this question: "If I give you a piece of paper, how would you know it really means anything?" They usually say something like: "Well, I could use it to check on the item." To this reply I respond with: Check with whom?

Most COAs don't even have a picture of the item on them! How in the world is a COA like that worth anything special? One can buy those forms by the hundreds and print them on any inkjet.

I've owned and sold a genuine Mel Fisher Atocha cob complete with its photo COA. Those are impressive but if you get a low grade mega shiny cob for under $300 you really got a deal. I know for a fact that many genuine Atocha cobs have no COA. Many were brought up by early divers some no doubt long before the final "big pile" Fisher discovery.

I'd love to see all future wrecks carefully documented with photo COAs and all this info kept on computers. But in the past, millions of equally genuine shipwreck items were found and most have no real COA. Basically what you have is the word of the person who recovered said item. And when you really think about it--that's all one really has with any COA no matter how it may have been done.

Who knows if that cob really came from that wreck? Only the person who originally discovered it. Sellers of shipwreck items can easily "salt" their store of retail shipwreck items. COAs are easy to make.

Personally I look for real treasure hunters whom I know are really hunting (and finding) real treasure. Some times I get my shipwreck items totally ocean encrusted. To me this is 10 times more impressive than a sheet of paper from someone I don't know.

And too, most shipwreck divers/beach hunters today aren't going to make COAs for a whole lot of reasons I think the reader can figure out on his own.

Faith in your supplier is what's most important and that along with the known facts concerning the found item (design, weight, etc.) make for a secure purchase.

Have a nice day.

Badger

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's In A Certificate of Authenticity? COA

Michigan Badger,I agree with you,faith in your supplier mine is Dan Sedwick plus great advise from people like Trez and DiveWrecks.
A certificate is a lot easier to forge than a Cob ! but the mind set of the average Joe on the street is,
if its got a certificate it must be real.
Here's an idea for you Michigan Badger set up your own certification company, after the cob has been inspected,photographed,weighed and say co signed maybe from some like Dan Sedwick then issue
the certificate for a price.
you could use a trading name like Casa de Plata e Oro, people want a certificate give them one
for a price,
Cheers, Ossy

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

A COA may be the only document that can tie a particular coin (or other artifact) to a specific historic event. Without the COA, a coin, for example, is just one of perhaps millions that were minted during the reign of a particular monarch. To tie the coin to a specific event gives the coin greater historic value. Also, to tie the coin via the COA to a well-respected dealer, such as Sedwick, gives the coin additional perceived enhanced value. And a coin COA that contains a photo, scale, specific and event description, and signatures of the finder and dealer will further add to the marketability of the coin.
Don.......

TNBob

Jan 30, 2008

What is a COA good for? Atocha Coins, they are just about worthless if you dont have one from Mel Fisher. This is partly because beginners start collecting Atocha coins and so much monetary value is attached to the COA even though it is replaceable if you have the coin number for $200. Atocha coins are highly inflated compared to other authentic shipwreck coins because of the Fisher's. Most real collectors dont need COAs, but have you ever tried to sell a coin to the Ebay crowd with out one? Sure its nice to have a COA for a coin, but basically if its authentic and has coral or sediment on it then you dont really need a COA. What I hate is when these dealers polish their coins! I would rather have one carefully cleaned or not cleaned at all but never polished. The Fishers over-polish their coins for the jewelry buying public and then mark them up as much as 10 times their value to sell in the museum in Key West. JMO.. Bob

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

TNBob said:
What is a COA good for? Atocha Coins, they are just about worthless if you dont have one from Mel Fisher. This is partly because beginners start collecting Atocha coins and so much monetary value is attached to the COA even though it is replaceable if you have the coin number for $200. Atocha coins are highly inflated compared to other authentic shipwreck coins because of the Fisher's. Most real collectors dont need COAs, but have you ever tried to sell a coin to the Ebay crowd with out one? Sure its nice to have a COA for a coin, but basically if its authentic and has coral or sediment on it then you dont really need a COA. What I hate is when these dealers polish their coins! I would rather have one carefully cleaned or not cleaned at all but never polished. The Fishers over-polish their coins for the jewelry buying public and then mark them up as much as 10 times their value to sell in the museum in Key West. JMO.. Bob

There's no doubt Mel was shape in business. His family will benefit financially from his wisdom for decades to come. Mel understood the average person and his view of treasure.

I do agree though that the polishing thing really stinks but it's very difficult to find a found cob that hasn't been at least partially buffed. I've offered lots of non COA cobs and to date sold all of them. In fact I have an Atocha cob online right now. Will it sell? Who knows? So far all have eventually.

I don't buy cobs unless I know 100% they're the real thing. I know the active treasure hunters and get plenty of emails from them. Most clean their cobs looking for rare cobs, etc. I try hard to have them not clean them first but these guys are all TOO interested in what they worked hard to find ;D

All my cobs show dark encrustation under magnification but when taking pictures for ebay I have to do my best to make them look super shiny or they won't sell well. I've tried it many times. Encrusted cobs or those still dark black/gray won't sell well on ebay and that's it. They will sell eventually but at a very low price. After receiving it the buyer praises me up and down because it's obviously genuine.

A few weeks ago I sold a 80% encrusted 1 real that obviously had super detail and got like $15 for it. Had I cleaned and polished it I probably would have gotten $30 to $40 for it. It was perfect for a pendant.

Generally speaking, the real investors in shipwreck cobs don't shop on ebay. Most of the buyers there are impulse buyers who know almost nothing about cobs. This is one reason why they must have a piece of paper.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

DiveWrecks said:
The cert doesn't help this one much. Only 7.7g grams left of an 8 reale. $450???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350153318198

Stan
Poor fellow, he must of purchased that one from the store website ;D

Vey nice Atocha's near full weight with genuine Fisher COAs go on ebay all the time for $250-$350. I've seen awesome ones go for as little as $135 without the COA.

But of course we all know only those with the paper are genuine---right? ;D :wink:

For anyone wanting to know the real path of the wreck I'd recomend reading Dr. Eugene Lyon's book on the Atocha. It is the best documented account of what really happened there.

The path of the Atocha was so long they're still seaching for it's treasures today.

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions