Looking for info on a few half reale

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I was fortunate enough to dig 4 half reale this weekend dating 1781 to 1802. These are the first non-american silver coins I have found, and are my oldest coins to date. I am interested in researching the markings on the coins to know more about them.

I understand there are marks to designate where they were made and who made them. These coins are in rough shape as it appears a fire consumed the area long after they were dropped. I found an 1844 half dime in the area, and it also showed signs of being cooked.

I am including a photo of the best looker of the bunch. I hope there is a website that lists the information on the markings. If not, are there any books on the subject?

Thank you,
Anthony

Attachments

• 1781 Reale.JPG
    1781 Reale.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 1781 Reale.JPG
    1781 Reale.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 230

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1/2 real --.9027 fine.
Obverse, an armored laureated bust of Carlos III facing right.
CARLOUS.III DEI GRATIA 1781
Reverse, a crowned coat of arms of Spain consisting of a quartered shield with castles and lions in the quarters. In the small center shield are three fleurs-de-lis. At the bottom of the shiled is a pomegranate. Besides the shield are two columns. PLUS VLTRA is inscribed on the ribbons which are wrapped around the columns. HISPAN> ET IND. R (one half real) M (Mexico City mint) FF (initials of assayer). Coin should be 18mm in dia.
Source: "Coins of Mexico" by Frank W. Grove; p.101

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank you very much for the information. I had a feeling the M was for Mexico, but I appreciate the information you have provided.
Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread