Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Potosi (in Bolivia today) mint; 2 reales cob, last three digit date mark (guessing) 1751. Middle line is: PLV SVL TRA (Plus Ultra), signifying there is 'more beyond' (west of)the Pillars of Hercules (the two main verticle lines) that is inferred to belong to Spain.
Don.......

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
This cob is a modern reproduction, it has the word COPY on it, someone must have threw this on the beach..."Dirty Trick" but still got us excited........

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
From the title it sounded as if there was a second coin. Is it just the same? Too bad it wasn't pirate loot.

Stan

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
DiveWrecks said:
From the title it sounded as if there was a second coin. Is it just the same? Too bad it wasn't pirate loot.

Stan

Yes, there is another cob.....my Dad found it eariler in the week during the storm. That one is small and was looked at by a local guy here in the Outer Banks who stated it was real. Thats why when we found the one above at first the color was very different than the first one, and the detail "was too good too be true". We have had a lot of fun this week anyway, we spent some time down your way near Sebsitian Inlet, but was there at the wrong time (late summer), and someone had said a few years back they pumped alot of sand on the beach in that area. We found some modern clad coins but no jewelry or Spanish stuff. Still had a good time........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Jimmy D.

Could you please post a picture of the coin your Dad found...Thank you!!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good eye Jimmy. These are bought as souvenirs somewhere in the area so naturally they get lost or tossed on the beach.
DSC01449_[] copy.JPG
It appears to be from this novelty set. I have an unorganized collection of copies, fakes, fantasy and counterfeit cobs, and I saved suspicious pics from eBay with the help of Divewrecks. Dont forget no two are alike so I can sometimes ID them this way. I have found more of these on the beach than I have reale ones LOL. Still more interesting to find than a Zincoln.
spanish doubloon novelty set.jpg
span cob copy found OB TN rev.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread