For Stan...Chinese trade 1/2 reale.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Beach Cut wanted

May 2006
    Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
    Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
    255 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

For Stan...Chinese trade 1/2 reale.

Stan,

The Swastika I posted along time ago...was struck on a 1/2 real, mexico mint...that circulated in China...(Chopmark)
    If I remember correct RGecy had the meaning correct (an ancient symbol of good luck, prosperity, and long life) and the merchants would chopmark the reales as their way of showing other merchants that the coinage was accepted by them...in a nutshell.

Trez
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swasi.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	27245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swasi.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	352691  

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12350 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: For Stan...Chinese trade 1/2 reale.

Trez:
    The coin in your pic must be similar to a coin referenced by Aidan Work on 2-13-05 wherein he said: "I was recently shown a 1794 Mexican Piece of 8 that has a lot of chopmarks.The most interesting one is a Swastika chopmark on the top of the left hand pillar on the reverse."

http://www.cointalk.com/t4557/#ixzz0ZAVS3nLF
    Don......

us
    Sep 2004
    Down South - Marietta, GA
    Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
    6 times

Thanks Trez. Was that a shipwreck recovered coin or a beach find? I'm guessing one of these because of the corrosive attack. Wherever the find, I'll bet that coin could tell some interesting stories about the adventures it must have went been through since being mined from the earth!

Stan

us
    Nov 2009
    Teknetics T2
    2 times

The Buddhist use a symbol thats looks like a Swastika.I've seen another reale with Chinese characters,but never one with that chopmark.
    R.I.P Rich Hartford
    One of the Top CRH in the game.

us
    Aug 2008
    61 times

Yeah, it is obviously a local acceptance stamp from the far east. I would also agree with China, though I don't know who's it is exactly. Many of these cob coins also show file marks straight across the faces.

There were stresses in Spanish-Chinese Manila galleon trade during the 1700's that led to a decline, and to an end about 1815. It was then picked up by private interests in Mexico and the US, and coins continued to be counterstamped. Even today, US paper dollars recieve small purple ink chop marks after circulating aborad.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links