For Stan...Chinese trade 1/2 reale.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan,

The Swastika I posted along time ago...was struck on a 1/2 real, mexico mint...that circulated in China...(Chopmark)
If I remember correct RGecy had the meaning correct (an ancient symbol of good luck, prosperity, and long life) and the merchants would chopmark the reales as their way of showing other merchants that the coinage was accepted by them...in a nutshell.

Trez

Attachments

• swasi.jpg
    swasi.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 411
  • swasi.jpg
    swasi.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 408

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trez:
The coin in your pic must be similar to a coin referenced by Aidan Work on 2-13-05 wherein he said: "I was recently shown a 1794 Mexican Piece of 8 that has a lot of chopmarks.The most interesting one is a Swastika chopmark on the top of the left hand pillar on the reverse."

http://www.cointalk.com/t4557/#ixzz0ZAVS3nLF
Don......

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Thanks Trez. Was that a shipwreck recovered coin or a beach find? I'm guessing one of these because of the corrosive attack. Wherever the find, I'll bet that coin could tell some interesting stories about the adventures it must have went been through since being mined from the earth!

Stan

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
The Buddhist use a symbol thats looks like a Swastika.I've seen another reale with Chinese characters,but never one with that chopmark.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah, it is obviously a local acceptance stamp from the far east. I would also agree with China, though I don't know who's it is exactly. Many of these cob coins also show file marks straight across the faces.

There were stresses in Spanish-Chinese Manila galleon trade during the 1700's that led to a decline, and to an end about 1815. It was then picked up by private interests in Mexico and the US, and coins continued to be counterstamped. Even today, US paper dollars recieve small purple ink chop marks after circulating aborad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread