Question about Atocha 8 Reale coin TSI #

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I recently acquired an 8 Reale coin from the Atocha. I have the TSI # but no COA. Is there a database where I can reference the # to make sure it matches my coin? I actually purchased it as a pendant but I intend on freeing it. I would also like your opinions on its authenticity. Based on my limited knowledge it is from the Mexican mint and appears to be from the correct time frame as other examples from the Atocha I have seen but I defer to the experts for confirmation. I can't figure out how to compress my pictures yet or I would post some images. I will work on adding them tonight. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rooter:
First, Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Two, perhaps very obvious suggestions: (1) Ask the seller if he has the COA; and (2) Contart the Mel Fisher organization about getting another COA based on the information you do have.
Don......

OP
OP
Rooter

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for the welcome! I am a long time lurker but this is my first post. The seller didn't have the COA. I was trying to find something easy that I could look up on line before I went the phone call route. All their COA records look very analog to me so that may be my only option.

OP
OP
Rooter

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Thanks Tom!
The problem is I don't have a hard copy TSI # document so I'm not sure if they can help me. I have emailed them to see what my options are if any. The COA would be nice but I'm not hung up on it. I just want to see if they can tell me if the coin I have matches the basic description connected to that TSI # like weight, grade, mint etc... just to authenticate it. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure it out.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turning actual coins into jewlery really angers me......

Welcome it to the free world! :headbang: :hello2:

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Alpha - should be a crime
Historical items should be left and conserved in their original state and not converted for commercial defile
Brady

rhow

Aug 9, 2012
There is an online database search by number, go to
www.historicshipwrecks.com, select Search for artifacts from the pull down menu, then enter your TSI number, it gives basic info on the coin and sometimes the actual photo.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with Alpha - should be a crime
Historical items should be left and conserved in their original state and not converted for commercial defile
Brady

WHY? Maybe they should be left in the ground/water for professionals to conserve...

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also got a coin given to me from a family friend her late husband had gotten back in 1985. thanks for the links as i too don't have a COA. How did yours turn out??

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread