Is this a real 8 reale?

pawnman

Greenie
Apr 23, 2010
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
I have yet to find one so I have purchased this one in the hopes that it is authentic? I have no paperwork with this coin it did have a string tag attached to it when I purchased it used stating atocha. I hope one day to actually dig one out of the beach here in sunny south florida. Can anyone tell me about this cob??

Attachments

• Atlanta races 9-09 261.jpg
    Atlanta races 9-09 261.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 724
  • Atlanta races 9-09 262.jpg
    Atlanta races 9-09 262.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 733
  • Coin collection 003.jpg
    Coin collection 003.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 703
  • Coin collection 004.jpg
    Coin collection 004.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 698

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are it's a real coin, but with no papers you're most likely buying a $30 coin that someone put in a gold plated bezel and labeled it to take advantage. I think $50 (does depend on the gold content) is the most it would be worth, but I wouldn't have even paid $20 because there's no eye appeal, or anymore history than any other 8 reale cob you can buy.

OP
OP
pawnman

pawnman

Greenie
Apr 23, 2010
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
Mackaydon said:
Pawnman:
What did you want to know?

I think It is from mexico mint. I cant see a year, basically anthing you could tell me about it. Year, mint ect would be greatly appreciated.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rotate bottom image 180 degrees for proper alignment (PA); Mo for Mexico appears on the left.
Rotate top image 90 degrees to the left for PA; orbs/globes at end of cross bars indicates Mex. City.
Don.....

OP
OP
pawnman

pawnman

Greenie
Apr 23, 2010
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
Mackaydon said:
Rotate bottom image 180 degrees for proper alignment (PA); Mo for Mexico appears on the left.
Rotate top image 90 degrees to the left for PA; orbs/globes at end of cross bars indicates Mex. City.
Don.....

Thank you again, any idea of the year?? or if it is a coin that could have been underwater? or the Person who struck the coin?

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
That coin is a cast reproduction I'm afraid. You can see the gas hole porosities around the cross that are pretty much a dead giveaway.

Stan

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I think this is supposed to be a oMP 1660-1680's Mexico mint 8 reals (hard to find castles and lions that sort of match without going to the end of the range, 1614 F has more matched details.) There are too many problems with the coin I'm afraid for it to be real. The heavy silver blanking on the obverse seems to be an issue with the cast it was waxed from. While some corrosion on the reverse is acceptable, there is symmetrical bubbling that has been mentioned, then right next to it some sort of additive raising up of the surface. There appears to be an issue with the authenticy of the shearing of the sides also, but I won't go into that too far.

I wear fake gold escudos all the time and have for years. This can be a good thing because it saves authentic coins from being polished, mounted and worn. I think your particular coin looks pretty good even if it is not real.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
gwdigger said:
that is most def a cast IMO

Yup, don't need to handle it. CS provided a good assessment of the casting, and he has prior experience with the process of casting as a means of coin reproduction (well intentioned of course).

Stan

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many of the Atocha coins sold were cast. They said many were, in the label, made from the silver bars

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
stevemc said:
...... and obviously many didnt say it as Mel Fisher was sued for selling fake coins.

Those were 1733 Fleet styled gold replica coins....

Plus it is a Mexico mint, so that cancels out the Atocha.

Not necessarily, Mexican coins were found on the Atocha (in small quantities). See the Atocha research collection for a few examples.

Stan

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan, you are correct...there indeed were Mexico Minted cobs found on the Atocha and her sister ship.

(TWGENSR) stood for They were gold escudos not silver reales. :wink:

and yes...I believe the coin pictured most likely cast. IMO which means :dontknow:

Trez

OP
OP
pawnman

pawnman

Greenie
Apr 23, 2010
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab
Trez said:
stevemc said:
Many of the Atocha coins sold were cast. They said many were, in the label, made from the silver bars found, and obviously many didnt say it as Mel Fisher was sued for selling fake coins. 1000s. Many were sold as found, but as many of us know the huge amount of cobs were ruined, by tumbling them with needle shot. They had a horrible look. If this did come off the Atocha, it would have been before the motherload was found or after, but I feel also that it was a cast coin. I dont think that electrolityic reduction would make perfect bubbles like in that coin. Plus it is a Mexico mint, so that cancels out the Atocha. But they did buy from others :wink:, to supply to their investors, and maybe they made molds of those.

Stan, you are correct...there indeed were Mexico Minted cobs found on the Atocha and her sister ship.
As far as Mel Fisher being sued for selling fake coins (1000s) has nothing to do with this post at all, I would like to see you back that statement up as it pertains to this post. (TWGENSR)
and yes...the coin pictured most likely cast.

Trez
You guys are true experts thank you again so much for all of the info. Cast replica coin looks like the verdict.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
As was said earlier, that shouldn't make you hesitant to wear it. Plenty of people wearing coins are wearing reproductions and there are many good reasons to do so. Looks better than me wearing a picture of one of my real ones! ;D

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread