• brian\'s camera pics 163.jpg
    brian\'s camera pics 163.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 717

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was thinking Charles (Carlos) the third (III), as it is milled, but I dont see any that have that wording on the front. Maybe it not Spanish, hard to say.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's Hapsburgh empire. Probably Spanish. Looks like Charles the III monagram. Could be a continental 1/2 pistareen cut into a cuatro, or 1/4 real. It would have been worth about 3 cents. A lot of coins like this circulated in the 1700's and early 1800's.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
This is a cut piece from a 1707-14 homeland Spain 2 Reales, minted in the name of Charles III (the Habsburg pretender). Example shown below... He claimed to the the legitimate Habsburg dynasty heir to the Spanish throne when the Habsburg Charles II died childless in 1700. He held parts of Spain (I think Catalonia w/Barcelona) for a while before the Bourbon heir, King Philip V, consolidated power.

Quite a few of these 2 Reales were produced and still exist, though you don't see many "cut" pieces from them - usually they're from the Philip V pieces of about a decade later. Note that the Spain 2 Reales (aka a "pistareen") had diverged down in silver content/value from the Colonial 2R - it took roughly (5) of these pistareens (or more, as the silver content of the pistareen fluctuated greatly in the early 1700's) to make (4) Mexican 2 Reales coins or a full Mexican 8 Reales peso. So, this cut Spain piece was basically 1/20 of a Mexican peso, or 5 cents under a dollars/cents system.

2ir562w.jpg

OP
OP
S

swampratvabch

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2008
Re: spanish coin

Yes thank you and "Realewatcher" should be on my favorites because I'm going out to get my second one...thanks again.

U

umrgolf

from your screen name,I assure you this won't be your last cut pistareen :thumbsup: I had around 10 last year in H. Roads.

btw, the one you dug is the first out of MANY ive seen that's the earlier one as identified here by realeswatcher, great find :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions