• g2p.jpg
    g2p.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • g1p.jpg
    g1p.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,054

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I think the planchet is too regular to be a cob. It might be a tore-up gold sovereign. The raised area on one side could be worn away St. George.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Post a larger picture if possible, I cant enlarge the pics.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Congratulations on finding an Indian head penny - see the properly rotated reverse pic below.

Just for future reference, gold is far more resistant to corrosion than something like an Indian penny, which was bronze (95% copper). Even with exposure the worst ground/sea conditions, gold wouldn't look nearly that eaten away.

2vw7bs3.jpg

OP
OP
jefg231

jefg231

Jan 20, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Wow, I almost gave up. So the image you enhanced is the wheat side.. What enhancement tool did you use? Thanks again.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
It's really the "wreath" side, strictly speaking... "wheat" side, technically, is what's found on the Lincoln wheat-back cent... Rotated it properly, shrank it a bit to increase clarity, and the negative effect is called "Invert Colors" or something to that effect - useful for flushing out detail sometimes. Most basic photo-editing programs can do this and more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread