1618 8 real copy (Was Information please. Cobs.) - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1591 times

Re: 1618 8 real copy (Was Information please. Cobs.)

Just checked. None of the replica coins looks similar to mine.

us
    Aug 2008
    61 times

I remember looking at a silver old shield 1500's Lima 4 reals a few years ago at a jewelry store. They said it was real, or they didn't know, but I figured it was a Fisher replica made from the Atocha silver.

I think there is something cool about just owning jewelry made from the silver. I recently tried to buy some worn out cob reals with no markings just to get the silver to make some stuff I had in mind.

I don't think your fake cob is one of their replicas. I think yours is a recast of a well known novelty piece.

I remember when the framed coins came around because my friend owns a furniture store and these were offered to him to retail. He asked me about it because he knew my interest in the cob coins. Our assessment at the time was that they were fake and that it was not a good idea to sell them to others.

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
    248 times
    Shipwrecks

Tuberale, as they have said this is a very obvious fake. It is so obvious that there is no doubt it is just a fantasy fake coin. The Mel Fisher fakes were made from casts of the coins that were found in the mother load pile. They(found cobs) were cleaned with hardened steel needle bearings, which ruined all of them. They tumbled them with the bearings. Which really beat the coins up. They should have used muratic acid, which is how they have been cleaned for years, but they didnt, they are morons. They ruined all those coins so bad they are very obvious to tell what they are just from the beating they took. First time I saw some, I said These are really beaten bad, how did you clean them, and they told me, and I said you shouldnt have done that. The next many I looked at were also beaten bad. But they cast them and made a bunch of fakes, which looked worse, if that was possible, than the real coins. Yours is crisp and sharp, so it is easy to see that it is not real. And definetly not a Mel Fisher fake. He did do and sell some other fakes/castings too, but not Atocha cobs, some different dates, and wrecks.

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2839 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

As was stated, this is a known pot metal tourist souvenir not a Fisher coin. I was curious if yours was cast silver because it would be a first for me but you didnt say or I missed it. I have never seen a silver cast of this design. They were all pot metal Im pretty sure.

gb
    Feb 2012
    Newcastle
    Shipwrecks

Quote Originally Posted by realeswatcher

Another specimen of the same fake is running right now from a seller in Hong Kong:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260886798819
    Do you guys report these items when you find them on eBay? I would gladly spend 10 minutes a night going through them, reporting each fake or incorrectly advertised replica, if I knew what I was looking for of course.

us
    Mar 2012
    info on coins

Wow glad I found this site. My friend showed me a coin and the first I said is that it was fake. It just took me this long to find this site to prove it thanks so much. Heck I even have the little heart shaped hollow spot like the first one. I will add photos for others as well. Thanks again. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-18_19-01-01_568~1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	617773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-18_19-01-57_429~1.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	617774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-18_19-02-13_688~1.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	617775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-18_19-02-47_361~1.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	617776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-18_19-02-54_987~1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	617777  

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2839 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by bandanarich
    Wow glad I found this site. My friend showed me a coin and the first I said is that it was fake. It just took me this long to find this site to prove it thanks so much. Heck I even have the little heart shaped hollow spot like the first one. I will add photos for others as well. Thanks again. Rich
    Same exact fake.

us
    Apr 2012
    N FL
    CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
    308 times
    Metal Detecting
    I found the identical fake reale today.

Big ol FAKE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links