Off center stamped and holed reale

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
I love this coin, has alot of character. I found it in an area where I found alot of Spanish silver underwater. Some pieces were so small I had to switch my scoop to a small screen sieve, but the small pieces would like the larger pieces and whole coins almost blow my headphones off with loud solid signals. I have one piece that is a very thin cobb clipped down to about the size of your pinky nail! Love to find Spanish silver!! Any feedback on a possible date? Thanks

Attachments

• offctrrealeobv.jpg
    offctrrealeobv.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 825

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FM,
Nice little chunks of silver.....
I believe the top one...1/2 real - Lima - Philip V.
The bottom one...give me a minute...it appears to have 5 dots just left of the ordinals PvS. I have never seen this, I honestly can't answer that one. But it looks like a Potosi 1/2 real
You said other Spanish pieces were found? what were the date ranges? were they all South American cobs?

Trez

OP
OP
FMarion2ndRegSC

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for the info Trez. I found several pieces of older silver in one spot, only three were cobbs, several cut pieces of milled coinage from cut 1/2 reales to cut pieces of eight. Of interest, though, is this coin. Obviuosly lost very soon after mint and preserved in the mud. It is untouched by ANY cleaning and is as found that day. I understand that it is a 1 reale coin even though it is very small? (slightly smaller than a 177-something 1/2 reale) and has a rippled edge. So the area dates around 1748 I'm guessing, with the cobbs just being older coins at the time they were lost.

Attachments

• 48realeobv.jpg
    48realeobv.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 822

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is an awesome coin. nice job. wish I knew anything about cobs, so since I don't I'll leave it up to trez.

P.S. trez how do you know so much?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RenegadeRider3.7

Some people collect stamps, US coinage, baseball cards, etc...I decided, here is an area that looks interesting so...
I live on the Treasure Coast...I guess it was meant to be...lol
When I find 'em here...I just don't throw them in a cigar box. ;)

Trez

mnm

May 17, 2006
Damn I have been looking for a year and still haven't found one , : ( . Maybe someday... I had one similar to the second pic given to me by a lady friend of mine except the back wasn't there , no real sign of a stamp , kinda a one sided strike . It was found by Chucks , mom is getting it mounted in a bezel even though it is small for my birthday as a gift , : ) .

J

J@J salvors

Any cob is a nice cob. just think who held them in thier hands and what they were used to buy
history wasnt this cool in school
Keep hunting
Joe

carolus2

Aug 29, 2007
nice, to see many silver coins go to: www.robcar.net

FMarion2ndRegSC said:
I love this coin, has alot of character. I found it in an area where I found alot of Spanish silver underwater. Some pieces were so small I had to switch my scoop to a small screen sieve, but the small pieces would like the larger pieces and whole coins almost blow my headphones off with loud solid signals. I have one piece that is a very thin cobb clipped down to about the size of your pinky nail! Love to find Spanish silver!! Any feedback on a possible date? Thanks

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just wanna know where the heck did you find these sweet cobs? I always see a couple of posts about these coins...But I can never figure out where to find one!!???

Lucky huh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread