Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Mexico City mint was authorized by a royal decree of May 11, 1535. Probably by the middle of 1536 the MC mint commenced striking silver coins in denominations of 1/4, 1/2, 1,2 and (yes) 3 reales. The 4-reales was not authorized until 1537 when the 3 reales was discontinued.

These first New World coins are called "Carlos and Juana, early series" (1536-1541). The assayer, Francisco del Rincon was shown with an "R".

The first dies were made from punches brought from Spain. The original letters were in Gothic.
Don........

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There was a pre-offical minting 8 reals for sale at the Long Beach auction. I looked at it about two weeks ago on the site. It looks kind of like a 4 reals Carlos and Joanna strike, but has eight pellets split into groups of 4 vertically on both sides of the middle part of the obverse (front.) I think they had it dated at around 1534 or 1535. It didn't look that bad.

They have it listed as an offical coin on this site, 3rd coin down.

http://www.coinlink.com/News/world-...-from-goldbergs-upcoming-pre-long-beach-sale/

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OSB,
Actually, what I gave you was the date of the first coin in the New World IMO--but it wasn't a cob.
I believe cobs were coined from about 1556 until during the second reign of Felipe V, in 1733. Again, Mexico City was the first mint location of both the earliest and the later cob coins.
Don........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cuzco,
The site you referenced has the coin dated "c. 1535-1536". I take no issue with that.

Interesting, is that the same article mentions "Carlos and Joanna, or Johanna, issued the first coins FROM EUROPE (my emphasis) for the New World."
Don.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mackaydon said:
OSB,
Actually, what I gave you was the date of the first coin in the New World IMO--but it wasn't a cob.
I believe cobs were coined from about 1556 until during the second reign of Felipe V, in 1733. Again, Mexico City was the first mint location of both the earliest and the later cob coins.
Don........

Don, Mexico City was the mint location for the earliest, but Potosi holds the title of producing cobs well after milled dollars were introduced at other mints including Potosi itself. 1773 is the last of the cob production.

Cuzcosquirrel - Very interesting. There is also a distinct type that was minted in Seville that was only used in the New World. I believe there is a wreck in the Dominican Republic where some of these types have been sourced.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; According to the R.S. Yeoman Red Book the first coins used in the New World were called Hoagies and were of BRITISH Origin, They were 1616. They were made of brass or copper and lightly silvered in 4 denominations. The 2 Pence, 3 Pence, 6 Pence and Farthing. Each was struck with a Roman Numeral for it's value. These coins were called HOAGIES or HOAGES. They were struck in the Bermuda Island named Sommers Island Named after Sir George Sommers wo was ship wrecked there in 1609.
Anyway I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
BARKER said:
Hi; According to the R.S. Yeoman Red Book the first coins used in the New World were called Hoagies and were of BRITISH Origin, They were 1616. They were made of brass or copper and lightly silvered in 4 denominations. The 2 Pence, 3 Pence, 6 Pence and Farthing. Each was struck with a Roman Numeral for it's value. These coins were called HOAGIES or HOAGES. They were struck in the Bermuda Island named Sommers Island Named after Sir George Sommers wo was ship wrecked there in 1609.
Anyway I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

1616? Jeez, St. Augustine was undergoing urban renewal at that time.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Barker,
I believe a closer reading of Yeoman will disclose that in the area of "An Introduction to United States Coins", he states "Only a very few coins were made in America prior to 1783." He then goes on to chat about Hogge Money. But note he is writing about "America", not Mexico.
Don.....

OP
OP
OldSowBreath

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Such good information; thanks guys - I knew you would know.

So I guess my 1493 cob isn't real then? ;D

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don; Thanks. Yes I did note that before I replied. I was just trying to give him a "generalized time frame ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread