Cobs from the Gilt Dragon Western Australia

Feb 29, 2012
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When the Gilt dragon struck the reef and sank, 118 lives were lost. Three hundred years later (Before the Museum Amendment Act of 1964 had been introduced) it almost claimed my life too"
28 April 1656 the VOC Gilt Dragon struck a reef 5.6 kilometres off the coast of Western Australia.
On board were Bronze canon, Elephant tusks, Thousands of Ballast bricks, Earthenware jugs, Eight chests of silver coins and a crew of 193 (118 drowned). Seven brave men in a dinghy set off on a 1,400 nautical mile journey to seek help from Batavia. Amazingly they succeeded and reached their destination but sadly various rescue missions failed to find any trace of the remaining 69 castaways. The mystery remains to this day. Read the full story http://beachcomber-contractor.weebly.com Rex Woodmore

Attachments

• 4 Reales.png
    4 Reales.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 662
  • 8 Reales.png
    8 Reales.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 503

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gday Rex, Interesting story. Did you get to keep any Coins for your self ? Or did you have to give them to the Western Australia government.
Ossy

OP
OP
BeachcomberContractor
Feb 29, 2012
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ossy,
I don't remember how many coins from the Gilt Dragon I had. But all were checked & certified by the museum during an amnesty. I had pieces of 2 (very fragile & worn) Pieces of 4 and Pieces of eight. I had some stolen in Adelaide while I was in the army. Then when I had my house burgled in WA I lost the rest of them. The museum had to bring out of retirement the Guy that had catalogued them all those years ago, so he could research and give an accurate description of my coins to the CIB & the insurance company.
Only just last week while on a prospecting trip with my brother, I remember that I had given him the two I have shown here. He is hanging on to them, but he gave me the photos.
I just wish I could find some more while detecting. Oh well! I found an 1896 Queen Victoria penny this morning (old by Australian standards)
All the best with your hunting.
Rex (or should that be Wrecks?)

Attachments

• PIC_0008.JPG
    PIC_0008.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,281
  • PIC_0009.JPG
    PIC_0009.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,250

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When the Gilt dragon struck the reef and sank, 118 lives were lost. Three hundred years later (Before the Museum Amendment Act of 1964 had been introduced) it almost claimed my life too"
28 April 1656 the VOC Gilt Dragon struck a reef 5.6 kilometres off the coast of Western Australia.
On board were Bronze canon, Elephant tusks, Thousands of Ballast bricks, Earthenware jugs, Eight chests of silver coins and a crew of 193 (118 drowned). Seven brave men in a dinghy set off on a 1,400 nautical mile journey to seek help from Batavia. Amazingly they succeeded and reached their destination but sadly various rescue missions failed to find any trace of the remaining 69 castaways. The mystery remains to this day. Read the full story    Beachcomber Contractor - Introduction Rex Woodmore
Hi Rex, I just brought some from a dealer in Western Australia !!! Have sent you a PM
Cheers, Ossy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread