Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Apr 2012
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Further south than 1715?

I was curious..heard a few spanish cobs were found near pompano beach and hillsborough florida..A good amount were found in the fifties apparently. Ive just heard tales from old folks and such

can anyone verify that spanish cobs (and to be specific, 1715 cobs) were found that far south on the beach?

Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    21 times
    Not sure but i would bet thy are all pounding it now.

Apr 2012
    5 times
    Haha well, guess the next storm ought to outright tell us huh

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    No 1715 fleet coins that far south but there are some that believe the missing wrecks could be as far south as St Lucie Inlet but not any further.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    No 1715 fleet coins that far south but there are some that believe the missing wrecks could be as far south as St Lucie Inlet but not any further. SOUTHEAST FLORIDA SITES:

Apr 2012
    5 times
    Im well aware of where the 1715 wreck sites are
    Just puzzles me old timers, and multiple ones, that dont know eachother would say such thing.

Perhaps another wreck that only carried a tiny amount..merchant vessel or something with no documented importance?

us
    Dec 2007
    Fort Lauderdale Florida
    Minelab Excalibur Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab CTX3030
    642 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I am still hoping to find a stack of 1715 fleet eight reales on the beach after a storm down here in Broward County. I have found ship spikes and small Potosi half and one reales on beaches down in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties and heard enough stories from old timers walking the beaches to keep me searching for more.
    HH Gary

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ou8acracker2 View Post
    Im well aware of where the 1715 wreck sites are
    Just puzzles me old timers, and multiple ones, that dont know eachother would say such thing.

Perhaps another wreck that only carried a tiny amount..merchant vessel or something with no documented importance?
    No documented importance? The Spanish documented every ship.There are shipwrecks all up and down the east coast from the Florida Keys to Cape Canaveral. There are only a couple missing 1715 ships and I just dont happen to believe any of them could be that far south.

The hurricane hit the fleet and only one ship survived intact. Its very well documented. They sent to Havanna for help. The rescue is also very well documented. I dont remember the whole story. The only confusion is which inlet the southernmost shipwreck was at near the Ol Bleachyard. I seriously doubt the Bleachyard could be any further south than St Lucie Inlet or Jupiter at the very most. The gulfstream flows north and they didnt travel too far apart for fear of pirates.

No way a ship carrying treasure would be undocumented and lagging so far behind. It just doesnt make sense. They waited in Havanna to sail together because it was of utmost importance for protection. The problem is they waited too long and sailed the wrong day in hurricane season.

The coins being found by oltimers are probably not dated 1714-15. That would be proof . There are many shipwrecks up and down the coast from the 1500S-1600S Spains heyday, not 1700s IMO.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added map

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    167 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks

Yes! 1714 Coins have been found...

First let me set the stage to validate my experience and what I have seen and know:

Send me a private email and I will send a few pages of historical and factual information regarding treasures in Broward County.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    I didnt know 1714 cobs were found this far south. I suppose its possible to be on a wreck from a much later date.

Sponsors