Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No 1715 fleet coins that far south but there are some that believe the missing wrecks could be as far south as St Lucie Inlet but not any further.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No 1715 fleet coins that far south but there are some that believe the missing wrecks could be as far south as St Lucie Inlet but not any further. SOUTHEAST FLORIDA SITES:

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im well aware of where the 1715 wreck sites are
Just puzzles me old timers, and multiple ones, that dont know eachother would say such thing.

Perhaps another wreck that only carried a tiny amount..merchant vessel or something with no documented importance?

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still hoping to find a stack of 1715 fleet eight reales on the beach after a storm down here in Broward County. I have found ship spikes and small Potosi half and one reales on beaches down in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties and heard enough stories from old timers walking the beaches to keep me searching for more.
HH Gary

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im well aware of where the 1715 wreck sites are
Just puzzles me old timers, and multiple ones, that dont know eachother would say such thing.

Perhaps another wreck that only carried a tiny amount..merchant vessel or something with no documented importance?
No documented importance? The Spanish documented every ship.There are shipwrecks all up and down the east coast from the Florida Keys to Cape Canaveral. There are only a couple missing 1715 ships and I just dont happen to believe any of them could be that far south.

The hurricane hit the fleet and only one ship survived intact. Its very well documented. They sent to Havanna for help. The rescue is also very well documented. I dont remember the whole story. The only confusion is which inlet the southernmost shipwreck was at near the Ol Bleachyard. I seriously doubt the Bleachyard could be any further south than St Lucie Inlet or Jupiter at the very most. The gulfstream flows north and they didnt travel too far apart for fear of pirates.

No way a ship carrying treasure would be undocumented and lagging so far behind. It just doesnt make sense. They waited in Havanna to sail together because it was of utmost importance for protection. The problem is they waited too long and sailed the wrong day in hurricane season.

The coins being found by oltimers are probably not dated 1714-15. That would be proof . There are many shipwrecks up and down the coast from the 1500S-1600S Spains heyday, not 1700s IMO.

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes! 1714 Coins have been found...

First let me set the stage to validate my experience and what I have seen and know:

Send me a private email and I will send a few pages of historical and factual information regarding treasures in Broward County.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I didnt know 1714 cobs were found this far south. I suppose its possible to be on a wreck from a much later date.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
No documented importance? The Spanish documented every ship.There are shipwrecks all up and down the east coast from the Florida Keys to Cape Canaveral. There are only a couple missing 1715 ships and I just dont happen to believe any of them could be that far south.

The hurricane hit the fleet and only one ship survived intact. Its very well documented. They sent to Havanna for help. The rescue is also very well documented. I dont remember the whole story. The only confusion is which inlet the southernmost shipwreck was at near the Ol Bleachyard. I seriously doubt the Bleachyard could be any further south than St Lucie Inlet or Jupiter at the very most. The gulfstream flows north and they didnt travel too far apart for fear of pirates.

No way a ship carrying treasure would be undocumented and lagging so far behind. It just doesnt make sense. They waited in Havanna to sail together because it was of utmost importance for protection. The problem is they waited too long and sailed the wrong day in hurricane season.

The coins being found by oltimers are probably not dated 1714-15. That would be proof . There are many shipwrecks up and down the coast from the 1500S-1600S Spains heyday, not 1700s IMO.

A key marker for the old bleach yard is what is called "Hobe Mountain" on Google Earth. Has a ridiculous elevation of around 85ft, and was quite noticeable by ships going up and down the coast.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anything is possible. All the Spanish plate fleets came through the narrow passage between the Bahamas and Florida. There are no doubt undiscovered wrecks along the Florida east coast.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
There were salvage boats of several different nations that worked that fleet. Maybe one or more was lost on the coast down there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread