Big ol FAKE!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy did this give me a rush! I was wading in a clear stream about 3 miles from a Spanish fort and dug this out of the bottom. It was about 3" down in the silt. Gave a strong quarter hit. When I felt it in my hand, I thought it was a beat-up silver dollar....when I washed it off my hands started shaking. It is heavy and was nice and dark when it first came out of the water.

After staring at it for a minute or two and watching my hands shake, I noticed the casting mark around the fat edge of the coin. I also see a pinpoint of copper peeking through at one tiny spot....(top right corner of 1st pic)

There oughtta be a law! I went from elated to partially bummed...still fun to find. That buzz that I got when I first saw it reminds me of the reason I drive miles and spend hours swinging this dang detector. Oh well...maybe the next one will be real.

Maybe someone skipped it down the creek from the road? Seems like too unlikely of a spot to be planted.

051812150731.jpg

2012-05-18_15-04-15_62.jpg

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a definite kick in the ballbag.

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is to bad:dontknow: Well, I'm sure it got the blood pumping. congrats on the cool find either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread