TWICE in a lifetime...

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - this is absolutely insane.
About a year ago I found my first cob - a 1666 Potosi mint in great condition in a farm field on eastern Long Island - you guys helped me to identify it...
Yesterday I went out looking for a field to get some detecting in. I spotted a field that is across from one of my regular spots and that I was never able to get onto as the cover was always too high. This field is about half mile from the field where I found my first cob.
Well they must have pulled the potatoes out early this week because the field was like a flat baseball field with a nice soft cover of freshly rolled dirt.
I headed down a straight line on the right side of the field and didn't get a hit....so I decide to make a 90 degree left about midway down the field and start heading across.
About 40 feet on this line, I get a nice repeatable 82 on the Deus in 12khz. If you don't have a Deus, that's copper area and thin small silver.
About 6" deep and it's out of the hole...a quick pinpoint and instantly I knew I had a hammered silver of some sort. I rub slightly but cannot see any details. An hour later, back at the car and a little shake in my plastic pill bottle with some water...and you guessed it....holy crap.....another cob.
However - what I can't believe is that it had the date on it (luckly me) and even more unbelieveable is that it's ANOTHER 1666!!!!
Any idea what size it started at? Looks like my first was a half (even tho it says a 1) and this one is really a 1? Please advise.
Barry

1666 cob front sept2012.jpg 1666 cob back sept2012.jpg 1666 cob front both.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Barry, congrats on your cobs !

The size your coins started at is approx. their same size today. Since they were rolled from a silver bar, struck by hand, then 'snipped' for exact weight, no two coins are alike (unless one or both are fakes/replicas/repos,etc.).

In the absence of seeing a number above the "SVL" on the coin to the right, another method to determine the coin's denomination is by weight. (27.468 grams for a full 8-reales; proportionately less for 4-, 2-, 1- etc. reales.
Don....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very nice! If the pic is showing your 1 that was clipped to weigh what a 1/2 would, I assume, then this looks to be a 1 or a 2. Give us a gram weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread