Guatemala cob question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Guatemala cob question

Is Guatemala the only mint that made cobs in this style? In other words if you could not see the mint, or year, could you say for certain if it's a Guatemala coin?

Picture from Google.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    14186 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    IP:
    After repeated petitions, Guatemala was finally granted a mint in 1733. The equipment available was cast-offs from the Mexico City mint, so local officials were forced to begin by minting cobs just as Mexico City was transitioning to milled coinage. The coins of 1733-53 are cobs struck using pillar dies; ***Guatemala was the only mint to do this.*** I believe the type you show was struck between the years 1733 and 1746. The total cob period in Guat. was 1733/1753 followed by the pillar milled (1754/1771) then the milled bust (1771/1821).
    Don....

Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    IP:
    After repeated petitions, Guatemala was finally granted a mint in 1733. The equipment available was cast-offs from the Mexico City mint, so local officials were forced to begin by minting cobs just as Mexico City was transitioning to milled coinage. The coins of 1733-53 are cobs struck using pillar dies; ***Guatemala was the only mint to do this.*** I believe the type you show was struck between the years 1733 and 1746. The total cob period in Guat. was 1733/1753 followed by the pillar milled (1754/1771) then the milled bust (1771/1821).
    Don....

Thanks Don. That confirms what I suspected because every one I would come across was the pillar type.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    14186 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Guatamalan silver cobs are undervalued, perhaps because so many are in lousy condition. However, if you come into possession of a Guat. 8 escudo, I'll understand if you give up your day job.
    Don.......

Sponsored Links