Help with info on 8 reale cob????

RayGunz2

Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, new to this site, but have had interest in coins and collecting since childhood. I am hoping for some info from the wise bunch here. I have what was represented to me as a genuine cob. From my internet search, it appears to be a Mexico 8 reale cob from the 1713-1715 era, but none of the date marks are there? I was told it was purchased in Key West from Mel Fisher's store in the 1970s (what they all say right). There was a silver loop soldered on at some point and it appears it may have been cleaned/polished to make it a better jewelry piece. It looks genuine to me, but since I know little about these, what can you tell me. It weighs 27 grams not including the chain. Please see pics and let me know what you think. Thanks! 8reale.jpg 8reale2.jpg

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Genuine; Mexico, Philip V (Bourbon shield). The style of shield dates it specifically from 1714 to 1724/25 (the Austria bar on the shield indicates that). If it was a Fisher piece, then it's of course almost certainly 1715 Fleet... which would date it specifically 1714 or 1715. If it is, it's a nicely preserved piece, not a hint of corrosion.

Interesting double-strike shield.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread